Start of my DIY 75g Tank and Stand

Ok Its Wet but to bad its with freshwater right now LOL Just got all the plumbing done yesterday and test run today!! I have only one problem ...:grumble: My Overflow is faster than my pump. HMMM i think i need to goto a bigger pump now. I currently have an Odyssea 700 GPH pump I added a ball valve at the end of the return line just to see how much i had to reduce flow and it really wasnt all that much. Anyone have any ideas??? If it is not restricted some it Sucks alot of air due to flow not being fast enough going into the skimmer box. if i reduce the output of the return a slight turn it will fill the skimmer and flow properly without any air sucking through so I am guessing i jst need to up my pump size right?? only thing I am afraid of is having too much flow back into the tank and overflowing the DT !! Hmmm .... Beginners luck huh.... Ok the floor is open to all you wonderfully knowledgable freinds pics are below with the system off. Oh and the overflow is ported through a 1" Bulkhead and plumbed to the tank with 45s as you can see in the first couple pics. You will see a couple pics of my over flow too.
:frustrat:

Attachments

• P4260196.jpg
    P4260196.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 329
  • P4260197.jpg
    P4260197.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 341
  • P4260198.jpg
    P4260198.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 338
  • P4260199.jpg
    P4260199.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 341
  • P4260201.jpg
    P4260201.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 334
  • P4260200.jpg
    P4260200.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 398
  • P4260206.jpg
    P4260206.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 329
  • P4260204.jpg
    P4260204.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 297
  • P4260205.jpg
    P4260205.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 314
  • P4260203.jpg
    P4260203.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 304
My Overflow is faster than my pump.
That's how it's supposed to work. It will only drain as fast as you pump water back into the tank.....if it's setup properly. You may have to put a 90 on the bulkead inside the oveflow box and turn it up to raise the water level in there.
You don't want to be pumping more than you can drain.

That's how it's supposed to work. It will only drain as fast as you pump water back into the tank.....if it's setup properly. You may have to put a 90 on the bulkead inside the oveflow box and turn it up to raise the water level in there.
You don't want to be pumping more than you can drain.

Well I know that it will only drain as fast as you can pump back up but my question was if you think i should goto a bigger pump as my overflow seems to run faster than my pump? Or do you think that the 90 is going to cure the suction of air due to my drain being faster than the pump returning the water to the tank?

The drain is going to get some air.Theres no way around that.Putting the 90 on should help with any noise its making.
If you try to push enough water to keep the drain from sucking air,you'll eventually puch it over the top of the tank and pump your sump dry.

Ok i actually put on 2 90's to raise the water where i want it. The overflow gurgles like crazy and when it gets to the sump its all bubbles and Very Noisy! I dont think it would be comfortable to sit and watch tv in the living room with it like that. HMMM You know how it sounds when a glass is empty and someone keeps sucking on their straw that is what it sounds like! HMMM what to do what to do...

try getting a tee fitting and have one of them under water and the othe facing up and add a peice of pipe to it so that it extends out of the water it should help with all the noise.

try getting a tee fitting and have one of them under water and the othe facing up and add a peice of pipe to it so that it extends out of the water it should help with all the noise.

Do you mean like going off the 90 and put a T on top of that with the inlet under the water and the top of the T out of the water?

i would get a little peice of straight pipe from the bulkhead put the tee on that that will make a 90 going down and than a peice of pipe out above the surface of the water

Back