Starter Corals

Marine_Newbie

Reefing newb
I am still researching the setup of my first reef tank. Two books read recently have been very informative.

Ultimate Marine Aquariums, by Michael S. Paletta
Reef Secrets, by Alf Jacob Nilsen & Svein A. Fossa

Since a lot of practical information comes from fellow hobbyists, I ask your advice on starter corrals.

My thoughts are:

Pulse Xenia, Xenia
Button Polyp, Protopalythoa
Mushroom Anemone, Discosoma
Button Coral, Scolymia
Leather Coral, Sarcophyton dura
Sea Mat, Zoanthus
Hairy Mushroom, Rhodactis
Kenya Tree, Capnella imbricata
Clove Polyp, Clavalaria
Blue coral, Heliopora coerulea

Since I can't find any guidelines on stocking rates, like they do for fish, IE. 1 inch of fish for every 5 gallons of water; how do you know how many to stock in the tank? Since some are listed as 'semi-aggressive' how do you keep them from bothering each other as they grow to full size? How do you know if they are compatible?

Regards

There are alot of opinions on stocking guides. Some people want little or no fish while others want tons of fish. The main thing is that you do it slowly so your tank can handle the bio load. Otherwise you will spike it with nitrates and possibly kill all of your corals. I have 7 fish in a 55 gallon and still run at 0 nitrates.
Do it slowly so you don't end up doing massive water changes.

Keep reading it helps but I have had trouble with xenia .I have killed it 3 times ,but the Kenya Tree will do well right from the get go .Just keep your lighting in mind when you select corals . Good luck. Lighting is why I lost the Xenia I think,but I will try it again because i like it .

I would not recommend the blue coral at this time. maybe later when you get more experiance. the rest of the list is doable but you will have to deal with the chemical warfare that will take place with good filtration and proper placement of the corals. circulation will be a high priority. at this point I would recommend you purchase the following book; Corals (the super simple guide to) by james w. fatherree copy right 2004 by T.F.H. ISBN 0-7938-3456-2 www.tfh.com. this book is 136 pages long, paper back, and i paid 12 dollars retail for it. it is by far the best purchase i have made. it has more information on the selection, matinance, and propagation of corals page for page than any other book i have pruchased in a down to earth plain simple presentation. once you read this book you should be able to determine the correct corals and stocking level for your system. hope this helps.

Last edited:
I agree to the fact most shall do ok with moderate lighting.mushrooms and polyps should be easy starters. The Blue Fire Coral requires moderate water flow,proper level calciums and other minerals for good skeletal growth, and its is suggested that halide lighting with the right spectrum is best for this coral.Hence JHNRB recommendation to hold off for now.

Back