Starter Fish

txfan

Reefing newb
Hello, My tank has just finished its cycle and my CUC is on the way. I have decided I do want to do coral and I have the lighting to support most any type I would want to try. However, I've been looking at fish and alot of the ones I like say they need an established tank to do their best. Are there any supplement I should look into to help make my tank better for them? OR should I just look for fish that would do fine. Are there any reef safe fish that are you would put in a brand new tank? Thanks!

Well, it would help if you posted the fish that you were looking at. Also, if it's saying they need an established tank there's nothing you can add to make it more established, only time can do that. As far as a first fish, you can never go wrong with clowns.

I think you should just look into fish that will do well in new tanks. A lot of people start off with a pair of clowns. That would be a good first choice.

DAMN! Ninja'd.

I'd say a pair of clowns...

DAMN late hahahaha :P

But yeah I'd look at a path for your tank what you like and what will get a long and do you want coral. a few things to consider before getting fish. but yes clowns are easy so are chromis and clown gobys IMO

I'd say a pair of clowns...

DAMN late hahahaha :P

But yeah I'd look at a path for your tank what you like and what will get a long and do you want coral. a few things to consider before getting fish. but yes clowns are easy so are chromis and clown gobys IMO

I do want coral so I have narrowed it down to reef safe fish only. I have been looking at clown gobys as well. The fish I had in mind was a LMB. On live aquaria it states "The Sailfin/Algae Blenny does best in well-established aquariums with large amounts of natural algae to feed on". And I have seen the same quote on other fish I liked as well. Sorry for such a vague question, I have got to learn to be more specific when asking for advice. If it helps, I have a 46 gallon bowfront with 4X39 watt t-5 lighting. It has about 60 pounds of rock in it right now. Thats 50 pounds of Florida reef rock from reefcleaners.org with 10 pounds of live rock from a LFS. The rock has been all stacked together for over 2 weeks now with hopes of seeding the dry rock. Thanks

I do want coral so I have narrowed it down to reef safe fish only. I have been looking at clown gobys as well. The fish I had in mind was a LMB. On live aquaria it states "The Sailfin/Algae Blenny does best in well-established aquariums with large amounts of natural algae to feed on". And I have seen the same quote on other fish I liked as well. Sorry for such a vague question, I have got to learn to be more specific when asking for advice. If it helps, I have a 46 gallon bowfront with 4X39 watt t-5 lighting. It has about 60 pounds of rock in it right now. Thats 50 pounds of Florida reef rock from reefcleaners.org with 10 pounds of live rock from a LFS. The rock has been all stacked together for over 2 weeks now with hopes of seeding the dry rock. Thanks

Ok that's cool not bad at all and the dry rock will seed in time. but yeah just look at what you like and make a plan by what will get along with all that you want to have. I know folk have said this till there faces are blue. But do space out what you add so your bio load can adjust accordingly. the plan is key though we never want to see our fish friends, coral and such be at a greater risk than they have to be in. also your speaking my language here I have a 28G bowfront running myself love the thing. Though I wish I did get the 46g bow :(

Ok that's cool not bad at all and the dry rock will seed in time. but yeah just look at what you like and make a plan by what will get along with all that you want to have. I know folk have said this till there faces are blue. But do space out what you add so your bio load can adjust accordingly. the plan is key though we never want to see our fish friends, coral and such be at a greater risk than they have to be in. also your speaking my language here I have a 28G bowfront running myself love the thing. Though I wish I did get the 46g bow :(

After all the reading I did on cycling tanks and the horror stories of others, it makes total sense to add one fish at a time. Especially in a brand new setup like I have. I was actually just now going through your project thread and fell in love with your Bicolor Dottyback. I am almost certain this will be my first purchase. But i'm still going to wait another couple of weeks. My cleanup crew should be here within a week. I plan to let them do their thing for a week or so while keeping an eye on my PH, Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates.

Off topic question, with a brand new tank like mine will there be anything for my CUC to eat on? Anything I should supplement with? Thanks

I would not start with a Lawnmower Blenny - they are hard to maintain long term in many tanks because of their dietary needs. I would look at either a pair of clowns, or some sort of goby to start. If there is a fish that you have decided is a must have, build the rest of your stocking list around that

As far as CUC, I'm sure there is some film algae or diatoms if you're at the end of your cycle, and you can feed them (sparingly) with some pellet or flake food if there is not a lot of algae in the tank for them yet

After all the reading I did on cycling tanks and the horror stories of others, it makes total sense to add one fish at a time. Especially in a brand new setup like I have. I was actually just now going through your project thread and fell in love with your Bicolor Dottyback. I am almost certain this will be my first purchase. But i'm still going to wait another couple of weeks. My cleanup crew should be here within a week. I plan to let them do their thing for a week or so while keeping an eye on my PH, Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates.

Off topic question, with a brand new tank like mine will there be anything for my CUC to eat on? Anything I should supplement with? Thanks

Thanks yeah the dottyback was great :D. But for the cuc I just added some pellets till I got my first fish. Also If your running "open top" I'd construct a screen lid as some fish like to jump. Kind of sucks waking up to a dried out fish on the floor. BRS they have a great DIY section.

Thanks yeah the dottyback was great :D. But for the cuc I just added some pellets till I got my first fish. Also If your running "open top" I'd construct a screen lid as some fish like to jump. Kind of sucks waking up to a dried out fish on the floor. BRS they have a great DIY section.

I just happened to have watched that video on the first page of your post. Looks very easy to make. I have a glass top now but the salt buildup drives me crazy and I've read that they take away from the light. I hate to be a copy-cat but I also liked your goby quite a bit. I think I will be going to with dottyback, a goby (probably a clown goby), and a pair of clowns (I prefer the black and white clowns just because you don't see them as often). I think 4 fish should be plenty for me in the first few months of my setup. And I will of course only be adding one at a time,unless I find a pair of mated clowns. I've noticed you are very talented when it comes to the coral. What all do you supplement with?

I would not start with a Lawnmower Blenny - they are hard to maintain long term in many tanks because of their dietary needs. I would look at either a pair of clowns, or some sort of goby to start. If there is a fish that you have decided is a must have, build the rest of your stocking list around that

As far as CUC, I'm sure there is some film algae or diatoms if you're at the end of your cycle, and you can feed them (sparingly) with some pellet or flake food if there is not a lot of algae in the tank for them yet

Thank you for the advice. I will hold off for a while on the blenny. Im actually finding out that I am more attracted to bright colorful fish anyhow. I'll grab some pellets just in case for the snails. Thanks again!

you should probably take off the glass top anyways, not only do they block light but they hold in heat and prevent good gas exchange. There are some really great DIY screen top builds in the DIY section of the forum.

Also these guys have given you lots of great beginner fish choices, but you dont need to buy a pair of mated clowns, unless you want to try your hand at raising clown fish which is very challenging. Even then, there isnt a guarantee that they will keep laying eggs in your tank.

you should probably take off the glass top anyways, not only do they block light but they hold in heat and prevent good gas exchange. There are some really great DIY screen top builds in the DIY section of the forum.

Also these guys have given you lots of great beginner fish choices, but you dont need to buy a pair of mated clowns, unless you want to try your hand at raising clown fish which is very challenging. Even then, there isnt a guarantee that they will keep laying eggs in your tank.

I do not care at all about trying to raise clown fish. I was just under the impression that they did better in pairs. I would actually prefer only one clownfish, because that allows me to add one more different type of fish for variety. And I am going to remove the glass top but its actually open on the back for about 2 inches so I wasn't really worried about the heat or gas exchange. But its as good as gone anyhow. Thanks for the help everyone! I have a pretty decent blueprint of the way my tank is going to go as far as fish. I do not have much of a clue about coral, but that is another chapter in this book. I was told I needed another kind of test kit for the coral to make sure my water will satisfy them. I have also read that people "dose" their water with different things. So I still have lots and lots of research to do as far as that goes. I have to admit I am terribly excited to see this tank transform into something beautiful!

Clown do better in pairs, but single clowns do just fine too! But you can just buy two baby clowns and eventually they will pair up.

Also if you are keeping soft corals you dont need to do any more test besides the nitrates and pH, but when you get into stony corals you will need to test for calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium. Also most people dont need to dose their tanks, just doing regular water changes is more than enough to keep there levels in check. But you should never dose anything you cant test for and cant prove you need to dose for; overdose are easy to do and often deadly.

I see I see. Another thing that concerns me was my PH seemed low. It was either 7.8 or 8.0. This reading was taken about 5 or 6 in the afternoon. Is that too low?

no 7.8 is acceptable but on the low end. at night when the lights are off your ph will drop. do you have a refugium that you could run the light at night so you could keep your ph around 7.8?

no 7.8 is acceptable but on the low end. at night when the lights are off your ph will drop. do you have a refugium that you could run the light at night so you could keep your ph around 7.8?

No, I actually don't have a refugium. But I haven't been running my lights at all because I didn't want an algae problem without a cleanup crew. Should I be running lights now?

Back