starting 25 live rock and sand next week

brindle99sahara

Reefing newb
Hey everyone hope all you guys with expefience can help me from beginning to end up with a self sustainable eco system very excited. Have a great 120 freshwater show going for almost a year happy fish. Now starting with a little 25g salt. Any help would be appreciated.

Hello and Welcome!

You cannot set up a self sustainable marine tank, it just doesnt work that way. But you can minimize the amount of work you have to do.

I would start by reading all the information in the stickies and articles on the site, and then ask more specific questions.

Welcome.

I have to agree with LF you need to spend a little bit of time looking throught the stickies so that you can ask the correct questions.

i agree with Adam's decision on agreeing with little fish's answer.

trust me when i say the more you are informed prior to starting the better, or else you will have to return to your fish store for more fish due to deaths, diseases,treatments, or to return not compatible fish....i would do the research before and not during like most people. i know its not as fun but you will be glad in the long run.

ps. welcome :^:

im not totally new Ive helped my brother do a 120g saltwater sand and rock, im a very patient person my freshwater is outstanding. fish are very happy dont have to clean it very much maybe once every 2 months that tanks a 150g show sweet!!!

ive been doing a lot of research myself though im gonna use some live rock from my brothers tank but i have to cure it its been out for a while and i think i might switch from this stupid hexagon tank to a rectangle tall 37 g might be easier. i also want to use some coarser substrate so when i do a water change i dont have to keep adding more sand least expensive way but the right way any thoughts

Last edited:
jesse

in my fresh i have a 4inch tiger oscar, 9inch tiger oscare, electric blue, electric yellow, 3 different koi very pretty, clown loach, freshwater lionfish cool as hell, convict, two balas, pictus catfish, huge upside down family catfish dont know exactly which one, blood parrot, firemouth, jack demsey, pleco, and brown knife,
i had a gar the other day and my little oscar guess couldnt wait to get fed and ate him very dissapointed, ive had every single one since they were babies, there like kids to me

so i guess my first question would be what would be a good coarse substrate other than sand i want to be able to siphon with taking the least amount of substrate as possible

You don't really want to mess with the sand after you put it in there. Sand is the best bet for substrate, anything bigger will keep the crap trapped and mess with your water.

Most of us have fish and snails to keep the sand clean.

i was planning on putting in a cleaner shrimp and some c-rabs to help out with that i just want to do as little work as possible but the best for my fish

alright i appreciate the info oh and ive changed up to the 37 g its a better shape easier accessible and the stand and canopy match my other tank and theres room for two different bubs actinic and a 10000 k would those lights be substantial or do you have a different preference the other tank doesnt look like i can fit 2 bulbs

Re: starting 37g live rock and sand next week

in the beginning i was pretty set on some fish choices

hippo tang, clown, trigger, and cleaner shrimp

and problem with the compatibility :question:

Yea you would need a WAY bigger tank for this fish. And the sand shouldn't be messed with after you put it in. I have sugar fine sized sand .... Imo I would go one size bigger because this thing creates storms if messed with. And to keep your sand clean you can get snails that dig into your sand bed, you should look up a type of goby.... Just type in sand shifting goby on YouTube and you can see how they keep it clean. It's really fun to watch as well. With those there is no need for a siphon. U just need it to do water changes and a sponge for the glass just in case you get brown spots or algae on it.

alright i appreciate the info oh and ive changed up to the 37 g its a better shape easier accessible and the stand and canopy match my other tank and theres room for two different bubs actinic and a 10000 k would those lights be substantial or do you have a different preference the other tank doesnt look like i can fit 2 bulbs

Two bulbs isn't enough light to keep corals/anemones/clams (anything photosynthetic) but it would be fine for fish only. If you plan to keep corals, you will have to upgrade lights to ones made specially for reef aquariums.

Two bulbs isn't enough light to keep corals/anemones/clams (anything photosynthetic) but it would be fine for fish only. If you plan to keep corals, you will have to upgrade lights to ones made specially for reef aquariums.

Oh thanks on the info for lights. I know it was a bit annoying but I got the 4 bulb thanks to you. Pretty bright and couldn't be happier....well at least for that price lol

Back