Starting 29 Gal Mini Reef

Savannah

Reefing newb
Hello all! Since I didnt have much luck with my fish only tank without live rock I am starting from scratch since I was given the chance by the lovely ick:grumble: I have just one surviver the pink goby, so he is in QT and will be transfered into smaller tank until the eight weeks have passed in my display tank. (If he wont work in the reef tank I might have to trade in or sell him though) Right now the display has live sand, some live rock and base rock. Over these eight weeks I will be adding more live rock and base so it will have a nice aquascape! Since I am upgrading to a reef tank I know I need to upgrade my lighting as well. Any recommendations? Im pretty sure I would like an anemone. Im not sure exactly what yet I have a lot of reading and research to do. Wish me luck on my journey! :D

Welcome to the site buddy!! :D
As for lighting you want to go with Metal Halide lights, they will let you grow a wide variety of corals. but as for Watts per gallon, im not too sure exactly, but aim for about 8 i would say. So aim for about 250W or upwards lighting system. And you should be good.
Ohh i forgot.. Good luck!! ;)

Your pink watchman goby will do fine in the reef tank! Just be sure that your rocks are sitting on the glass bottom and not the sand. As he burrows around and the sand moves over time, if your rocks arent stable you could have a rock slide which are terrible in glass tank full of water.

Also, you are going to want go with either t5 or metal halide lights. Aim for 5+ watts per gallon if you eventually want a nem. Remember though, you should not put a nem into a tank that is younger than a year old. They just arent stable enough for a nem to live, and if they die, they will kill everything else in the tank form the toxins they release. But if you do get lights strong enough for a nem, you will have good enough lights for any coral and clams.

Just go slow this time! And lots of research!

Good luck!

Thanks guys, the rocks are on the bare bottom now. Im worried about my pink watchman... because of my past fish only tank, I'm not sure if the ick is what killed my clowns and the watchman bullied the one clown b/c he was weak. Or I have the freak pink goby that is aggressive.

P5030327.jpg

P5030332.jpg
P5030320.jpg
P5030322.jpg
P5030328.jpg
[/IMG]

Back