Starting a 55g FOWLR some questions and input

Jblankster

Reefing newb
So I have an old tank my father used as a fresh water tank for a long time. And I finally decided to switch it to my first saltwater tank.

Before I start. I have a question. My father wasn't the best at keeping the tank in check and when I took out the old stones, they smelled horrible and were nasty. I cleaned the tank really well with just water and after even 2 days it has a distinct bad smell. Not as bad as before but you can still tell its there. Is this bad? I'm sure if it was filled with water I wouldn't smell it.

Now onto what I need input on. Filtration. I will NOT be running a sump even though my location is perfect for it, I can drill holes and mount everything behind a wall with water and drains.... I could only dream lol.

But yeah sorry. Like I said I will be running no sump. Everything will have to pretty much be hob.

For the filter I will run a fluval fx5 and eshoppes psk100h skimmer. I'm also considering a 12x 36w turbo twist uv sterilizer. Would this all be sufficient for a setup with 4-6 fish?

I would like 2 clowns, and 3 blue reef chromis and maybe 1 more. I'm not quite sure how many I can have in a tank like this. I also am not 100% on compatibility yet. I still have to get the tank running so I have time to research fish more.

I would of liked just 4 clowns (2 black 2 orange) but we all know that wouldn't be possible

That should be more then sufficient for a 55 gallon tank. And, 6 fish is fine for a 55. Just make sure you introduce them over a period of time. And as far as the clown goes, I had horrible luck when i tried mixing my False Ocellaris and my Black Clown. Although I've seen people have them doing just fine (As long as they were introduced at the same time and you're willing to chance some aggression from time to time). If there is ample rock in the tank with plenty of places to hide you may get away with it, but theres only one way too find out. And, I'd clean the tank really well with some cleaners, just make sure you clean all the chemicals out before you attempt to set it up for fish. Good luck! When you get everything started make sure you start a thread in the showcase thread so I can follow you! 55ers for life! :mrgreen:

Hello and welcome to the site... glad to have you aboard. Use a 50/50 vinegar and water mix to clean the tank. I'd also do a leak test by filling the tank up with water and letting it sit for a day, to make sure it doesn't leak. Live rock and sand will be your primary filtration, so we recommend 1-2lbs of rock per gallon.

I will try to stick closer to 2 lbs. I gotta look more into aquascaping too since Im sure I will suck at that hahahaha.

im going to try a 50/50 water vinegar mix. I just hope it warms up a bit so I can do it outside or at least rinse it very good in the garage.

Macro rocks is a pretty good place to get base rock for your tank. Since your not doing a reef the porous rocks will be great for making caves/arches for fish to hide in a swim through.

Back