Starting a Canopy

WarmSoda

Reefing newb
So, I was looking at ccCapt's DIY 125g thread here, and I got me thinking...

I want to make my own canopy! My only problem is, I don't know where to start! I'm not wood shop retarded, but I'm by no means experienced. Here's what I'm working with...

-65 gallon tank (3 feet long)
-6 bulb t5 nova extreme pro

And here are my problems...

-I don't know what kind of wood AND strain job my cabinet is, and I need it to match.
-If at all possible, I would like to remove the stain job on the cabinet and apply a different one to match the canopy (I doubt I can, though)

Since you are using T5's, you don't need to build the canopy as high as I did. I used 1/2" cabinet grade plywood because I made it 15" high to accomadate MH lighting. You can use 1"x10" or 1"x12" boards to make it. I sold my cousin my old 75g setup and we retro'ed her T5 Nova fixture to work inside the canopy I had built for that. It's very similar to my current setup, but the fixture sits on rails (on my setup I have my VHO bulbs on the same rails) on the inside of the canopy.

You can probably sand the finish off your stand, but it would be a project best done with the tank off it.

Post a close up pick of your stand and we can probably ID the wood. Are you sure it's real wood? If so it's most likely pine, but might be oak. If it has knots in it I would say pine.

You can match the stain up at home depot by looking at the color on the can or the sample pieces. The more coats you do the darker it will turn out.

Here's the Wood I need ID'ed

Courtney1369.jpg

It's pine. You can take the door off and take it to the store and match up the stain to. Looks like it should be pretty easy to match.

I'm only an expert on my own wood. It just so happens that warmsodas is just like mine.LOL

Fishsticks? You talking about my tank specks?

Back