Starting A Frag Company

Tropical_Supply

Reefing newb
Hello Everyone,

I'm currently in the process of starting a company that sells coral frags online. I'm joining these forums in hopes of meeting new people in the hobby as well as sharing and gaining knowledge from the group.

A little about me...

I purchased my first 12 gallon saltwater aquarium about five years ago and since then, I have expanded to a total of over 300 gallons worth of aquariums in my house. It all started when I went to a friend's house and saw a beautiful aquarium they had spent a fortune on for a company to come in and setup/maintain. I started looking online and found a low-cost saltwater setup that I went ahead and purchased. Long story short, I outgrew one tank after another and have constantly upgraded over the last several years with no end in sight!

Not long ago I started to realize that some of my corals were overrunning their tanks and rather than upgrading again, I decided to purchase a couple frag tanks and get a business license. I just finished building a custom frag tank setup (DIY posted on my website) and I'm currently in the process of setting up a website and getting the frag tanks cycled.

My goal here is to disseminate some of the knowledge I've learned over the course of several years and several tanks... learn new tricks that may help me out with the frag business... and obviously, try to meet new people who would be interested in purchasing coral frags!

Hello Mike and welcome!
Do you have some pictures of your set-ups? We love pictures and it will give us some ideas of the stuff you'll be having to sell.

Just about done cycling the frag tanks. Looking to start purchasing some mother colonies soon! I'll definitely post some pics when the growing has begun!

There are many, many people trying to sell frags the same way you are and corals are ultimately luxury items which don't sell well in a recession. Suggest you do a lot of DIY and keep cost low. I wish you success in your business.

Here are a few images of some of the first frags that were added to the tanks... So far so good!

Attachments

• IMG_0549-500x500.jpg
    IMG_0549-500x500.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 404
  • IMG_0816-500x500.jpg
    IMG_0816-500x500.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_0809-500x500.jpg
    IMG_0809-500x500.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 417
Back