starting a new nano reef with a bio wheel?

marine430

Reefing newb
I am thinking of starting a nano reef. I have a 20 long and an extra bio wheel around. What should I do with the bio wheel as far as filter media and filter floss? If I understand this correctly filter cartridge can cause all kinds of problems with nitrates? I know that live rock and water changes with a skimmer, and a power head is the best way but this is what I have right now to work with. I Was thinking that I use some chemi pure elite or Purigen or a combo of both with a little filter pad and keep up with water changes. If anyone has any better ideas on what to do with a bio wheel I would love the learn abut it.

First,I would run it without the bio wheel.They are known as nitrate factory.Running some media(carbon,chemipure etc.) will be fine.You can have a successful tank with just live rock,lots of flow and diligent water changes.Of course you will need decent lights if you are going to keep corals.You may even be able to convert the filter into a mini refugium with a little rock rubble and chaeto.

What do the balls do what live rock wont? I hear other people use some sort of bio balls and I think the aqua clear comes with something like that also just did not know what they were used for.

What do the balls do what live rock wont?
Supposedly they have a ton more surface area. Same principal, more effective. Supposedly. Without the "nitrate factory" effect of bioballs or similar. Supposedly.
But in your filter i would try maybe one of those flat ones if they fit???

I'm sooooooooo tempted :D:whistle:
Oh, WTH @ErinCahir you see all that ball talk?:D
+1 lose the bio wheel, make sure the LR rubble you put in your filter is submerged or it won't work correctly for you.

Sup boys.

Them balls look pretty awesome.

I just have rock rubble in the back chamber of my nano. Pretty much the same principal as an HOB filter. (And definitely lose the biowheel.. you can do carbon filters or other media if you change it out every week.)

Supposedly they have a ton more surface area. Same principal, more effective. Supposedly. Without the "nitrate factory" effect of bioballs or similar. Supposedly.
But in your filter i would try maybe one of those flat ones if they fit???
Even better I think.....more surface area the better.I may add some to a compartment in my nano.

Thanks D2

I have a 20 long also, I have a hob on mine currently. I run a emporer 280 and left the bio- wheel in have had no issues with nitrates. I took the filter and carbon pack out and put rock rubble and a carbon bag sitting on top of rock rubble. I know some will ask what test kit I use, I use salifert.

Back