Starting First FO tank.

IceSeal

Reefing newb
Ive always wanted a saltwater tank but for some reason i went fresh instead...up to this point. I have a spare 20G High sitting under my bed and I had the thought of starting my saltwater experience.

ive come down to knowing i definitly want to keep a Fish Only tank, and the inhabitants would be Clowns, Gobbies, a purple firefish or 2, and 1 or 2 Blood Red cleaner shrimp. most likely will end up 3-4 clowns, 2 Fire and 1 shrimp (let me knoww if its too much or i can fit more because i have NO idea)

as for hardware would be something as follows

-250gph Skilter (hang on filter and skimmer in one)
-75watt Visatherm heater
-some small powerhead to give some current

for decoration i was going to go
-black sand
-Sand Rock (white/baje mix)
-Fake Anemone

The salt i was going to go with Instant Ocean and get a hygrometer to do the salinity testing

Anything else you think i need just tell me because ive never done salt nor is there anyone i can talk to around here that knows about Marine Aquariums. Also any Information or tips you can proive would be great as well. Thanks alot for any help you can provide :Cheers:

Welcome to the site. well 1st things 1st. before you go any further I would recommend you visit our helpful articles forum and on page 1 you will find a series of articles designed just for the beginner in salt water. after visiting and browsing the helpful articles section post any remaining questions you have. good luck and welcome to the site.

No problem. thought it would help you narrow down your direction and then we can help with specific questions that remain. happy fishin.

alright..i got everything mechanical and lighting down.

the only remaining question i have is the Fish stocking, i know its way early to even do that but i want to get some info now and prepare myeslf and start looking around to see who has the healthier stuff.

I definitly want clowns but with a 20 high how many can i have? and if 20 is enough for 2 clowns can i fit any gobies or firefish in with them? i know it said about 10 gallons per 2" of fish but it also said it was kinda iffy.so based on your experiences and knowledge what would you say i can have in there?

Welcome to the forum,
With 20 I would not do more than 2 clowns hopefully as a pair.A firefish might work also.The problem with them most are very passive and slow eaters.The clown will probley bully it to death.The shrimp you should be kept singlely to avoid fighting in a small tank.I am running a 29 gallon and have 2 clowns(false perc and sebae)1 small yellow tang,and a 6 line wrasse.I would start with the 2 clowns and see how the tank responds.Down the road you might be able something small,a dotyback,six line wrasse,possibly a gobie to.You could get a shrimp and gobbie pair that will live togather .

I also agree, two clowns and anemone if you like to start, but you will need a somewhat mature system. once all is well for at least 3+ months, you might then try a six line wrasse,

Back