Starting from scratch - please help me get started

bk6662

Reefing newb
Hello,

Just picked up a used 60g "euro-cube". It came with a stand, with a refugium. I'm trying to figure out how the plumbing all goes together - I'm stumped!

The main tank has a "baffle"? in the center. There's an opening at the top. Behind the baffle, the tank has two holes going down towards the refugium. One of these openings is larger than the other.

The refugium has several sections; the one at the left side is labeled as to starting, and running water levels. The refugium is only covered at the front section. There is a circular opening, at the right side of this cover.

My first goal is to get this all together, install a pump, and do an ops-check. But I don't have a clue where to start! Can somebody please point me in the right direction, in getting this all pieced together? They included some new fittings (including a "Y" - I'm guessing that's for the two openings at the bottom of the main tank). But I'm not even sure they're the ones I need.

Thanks!
Brian

ps. Believe it or not I'm not a total newbie, although I sure feel like one. A long time ago I started up and ran a successful micro-reef tank for quite a while. But never assembled and started a full-size tank from scratch. Thanks again!

Hey welcome to the forum!!! :bounce: Hopefully we can get you on the right track. The Baffle you are referring to is an internal overflow. The larger of the 2 holes would be for your supply pipe to the refugium and the smaller hole would be for the return pipe. Did the tank come with an overflow kit that had 2 PVC pipes (a bigger piece with a U fitting and a straight smaller diameter pipe)?? As for the refugium, A pic would help see how it is laid out. Without the pic I am thinking that the hole on the right side is for a pvc baffle that can be connected to a piece of clear tubing running from the overflow pipe in the tank. Then the water travels to the left side where the return pump is located and plumbed to the return pipe in the tank. Not exactly sure what the y fitting is for unless you have 2 return pipes. What other fittings did you get with the system??

little_fish - will be sure to post some pics, to help describe what I have.

Birch01 - No I didn't get an overflow kit :( Should I look for one, or can I build it from PVC?

They included 3 fittings. I think I've figured out where they go (but pls correct me if I'm wrong).

- a "Y" adapter. Looks like it's the inlet to the tank - to direct current in two different directions.

- A small coupling. Looks like the inlet to the internal o-flow, from the refugium.

- A larger coupling. Basically looks like a "drain" back to the refugium. Although would need additional plumbing to get there.

I will take some pictures of the refugium, fittings, and tank.

Thanks all for your assistance!
-BK

Ok here are some pics. I had a really hard time with the refugium, since I can't easily remove it from the cabinet. Hopefully it will show enough detail!

The first is the tank and stand.
Second is the overflow, from the top, looking down. With the smaller fitting on place.
The third is of the refugium, viewed from the back.
The fourth is the refugium from the front. (Light has been removed)
And the 5th is the other fitting I have; I believe it goes into the larger opening in the o-flow.

(Please forgive me if the upload doesn't work right - this is my first attempt)

Thank again!
-BK

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 305
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 301
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 312
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 275
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 253
First off............nice tank!!!! Now on to business LOL!!!

The fittings are in fact used to create a connection from the drilled holes in the take to and from the fuge. Make sure that the gasket is sitting on the glass over the hole when you insert the bulkhead and then screw on the washer. Just make sure not to over tighten. A turn past snug should be sufficient.

From what I can see you are correct about the 'Y'. It splits the return into 2 streams to direct flow.

You can make an overflow pipe and a return pipe from PVC. The return is the easiest. It is just a length of PVC glued into the return bulkhead with a glued slip x slip PVC 90 fitting on the top end that it is level with the adjustable outlet at the top (the loc line adjustable nozzles). Next glue a lenght of PVC into the slip 90 with a connecting piece that corresponds with the flow nozzle inlet. It;s probably threaded so you would need a slip x male threaded connector piece.

For the supply to the refugium, take a length of PVC pipe and glue on a slip x slip TEE fitting so that the middle connection it perpedicular to the pipe. Glue on a cap to the top of the TEE and drill a hole in the top to act as an air release. Then glue on a slip x slip 90 fitting witht the end pointing to the bottom of the tank. Once you have this done, just cut the opposite end of the pipe to length (i,e, the depth at which you want the water to be at within the internal overlfow structure, it's typically right at the weir cut outs on the overflow structure).

Of course the easiest thing to do would be to buy a premade overflow kit that comes with everything you need. Also, there are more ways to create what I have tried to describe so I would google it just to get a good picture in mind.

I am pretty sure that the cut out in pic 4 is where you would attach the supply line from the tank. You will need another bulkhead that will fit that opening. Make sure that it has a threaded insert so that you can screw in a threaded x barbed fitting that allows you to attach a piece of flexible tubing from the tank to the fuge.
Check out LA Fishguys on youtube. He has a few videos where he sets up an aquarium from start to finish and you could get some good ideas as to how you want to work out your plumbing.

Hope this helps and isn't to confusing.

First off............nice tank!!!! Now on to business LOL!!!

For the supply to the refugium, take a length of PVC pipe and glue on a slip x slip TEE fitting so that the middle connection it perpedicular to the pipe. Glue on a cap to the top of the TEE and drill a hole in the top to act as an air release. Then glue on a slip x slip 90 fitting witht the end pointing to the bottom of the tank. Once you have this done, just cut the opposite end of the pipe to length (i,e, the depth at which you want the water to be at within the internal overlfow structure, it's typically right at the weir cut outs on the overflow structure).

Hope this helps and isn't to confusing.

Hi Burch!

Hope you don't mind me resurrecting a post from last month. I just re-read your advice, and caught something I missed earlier. You mentioned drilling a hole for an air release. Well I didn't do that. Instead I have a 1-1/4" PVC going from the Drain Bulhead, to the refugium. I tried to run as straight as I could' using two "long" elbows to get where I need to go. It works, but it is *Loud*. Would the air release have helped with the drain noise? Is there any way I can fix it, short of cutting the drain and adding in a "T" with the air release you described?

Right now what I have (from the bulkhead): About 3 inches of PVC going down to the cabinet, 90 degree elbow, 2-feet length of PVC going towards the front of the cabinet (to the area of the refugium with the opening), 90 degree elbow, 1-1/2' length of PVC down into the refugium. Will try to post pictures this evening, if that would be helpful.

Thanks!
BK

Back