starting from scratch

clownfish cj

Reefing newb
I have a limited space for an aquarium (34Wx23Dx30H) to fit my tank and all equipment so I am looking for a tank between 40 and 55 gallons. After some reading and research I am going to go with a glass tank, possibly a powerfilter, protein skimmer, hydrometer and calcium reactor.

Do you think I could have a healthy reef tank this small? and if so what would you recommend?

Some of the fish I am considering are Bicolor Angelfish, Clownfish, Bicolor Dottyback, Skunk Anemonefish, Blackback Butterflyfish

Any feedback would be great as I am new.

I don't think you will need a calcium reactor at all. The only people that need calcium reactors are those that have SPS-dominated tanks and can't keep up with calcium demand by dosing. Most people don't even need to dose calcium -- water changes keep the levels in check.

If you have a protein skimmer, you will not need a powerfilter either.

Instead of a hydrometer, you should get a refractometer. Hydrometers can be very inaccurate and should be replaced every 6 months. A refractometer only costs about $40 and doesn't need to be replaced.

It's very possible to have a reef tank that size. You will be limited to between 4 and 6 fish. The angel may not be coral friendly; they have a tendency to nip at corals. You will be pushing it with two different types of clowns in there -- they tend to fight with each other. You should consider a pair of clowns of the same species. The butterflyfish is also not reef safe. But the dottyback is a good choice.

If you're going with standard off the shelf tanks you'll probably have to go with either a 29g (30 1/4"L x 12 1/2"W x 18 3/4"H) or a 40g (36"L x 18"W x 16"H). A standard 55g tank is 48" long so it wouldn't fit for you. Also, if you can, try and find a drilled (reef-ready) tank it will make it easier to run a sump for filtration. You won't need a power filter, hydrometer, or calcium reactor. All you'll need to start out your tank is some live rock, heater, power heads, refractometer, and possibly a protein skimmer (but not necessary on a tank this small).

The skunk anemonefisn is a clownfish. You'll only be able to have one type of clown for your tank otherwise they'll fight to death. I wasn't able to find the black butterfly fish but, 99% of butterflies are not reef safe so be careful of your selections.

Back