Starting from scratch

SamHamm

Reefing newb
Hey guys im completely new to this community. To be honest i have never even really owned a aqaurium. I just really enjoy putting time and effort into something and having a amazing outcome. I know this is going to be a tough learning experience but I just purchased my first house and im ready to figure out how to have a beautiful set up. I want to do everything correctly and never do any harm to my creatures so my question to you is what are some of you guys favorite websites to get started from scratch and what are some of you guys advice.

Welcome to the site, you are in the right place to get all the info and help u need.Just listen to what ever advice u get from the pros here and u will have yourself an ocean in no time.

What size tank are u interested in first and then u have to choose weather u want a fish only and live rock setup or a reef only or a full blown Ocean. At the top of this forum u should read the first post wich has most of the info in getting started.Thats what i did when i switched from freshwater to salt.

I am fairly new to this myself also and have found Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums to be the most beneficial website when it comes to fish knowledge. That's when you are ready for fish.

I also learned a TON from this forum alone, going through each section and looking at the thousands of posts.

I can tell you from much experience already that before you do ANYTHING with your tank, do thorough research. Even the littlest things, if not thought out and research can result in disaster. That would be my best advice going forward. Good luck!

Favorite websites? Here! The people on this website as a whole have a pretty impressive knowledge about saltwater keeping. I can almost guarantee that if you have questions, at least one person on here will know the correct answer. Why don't you start with a plan of what you want to keep, what size tank you would enjoy having, how much you want to spend, and what type of tank you want to have. Fish only, Fish with live rock, and a reef tank are probably the three most basic options for starting out. You can get really in depth with things like NPS tanks, Species only tanks, and other neat stuff. Personally I started out with only fish and live rock, then moved on to corals after I understood more about aquarium keeping and the chemistry and biology behind it. It can seem daunting, but it's really not as hard as it seems to get started after you've done your research.

I believe from what I have read above 40 gallon is where it gets a little easier and also I would like for my fish critters to have a nice size play ground so I may go with a 55 gallon or so. I would like to start out fish and live rock and then turn it into a all out ocean oneday. And I could spend more money over time but would like to spend about $500 to get started. Just want to make sure I do it right.

Hello and welcome to the site...glad to have you aboard. Check out the articles on the right side of the home page to get you started.

Hello and welcome, Sam!!

If you're thinking about a 55 gallon, I would just make the jump to a 75. Same length (4 foot) but you get an extra six inches to play with width-wise. Totally worth it.

i totally agree with Erin, I have a 55 ( its all i have room for ) but if you can ,you should really consider a 90 ( or bigger ).

First things first. Welcome to the site! You've come to the right place. Lots of really helpful people with lots of experience. First you need a tank. If you are looking to go 55, I would agree with the multiple suggestions already made and look at a 75 or a 90. It opens up your livestock options a lot. You can find some incredible deals on craigslist that fit in your budget (like my $200 90 gallon tank and stand that also came with a useless sump and substandard lights, but damn, $200 for a 90 with stand is still a great deal! Thank you, craigslist........). Then you need to look at equipment for your tank. The next essential component for a successful SW tank is live rock. For those on a strict budget, dry rock from places like marcosrocks.com or Bulk Reef Supply are a great alternative. Get that and seed with a few pieces of live rock from a local fish store (LFS). You will also need to look at getting a light, protein skimmer, sump set-up, powerheads, and a heater or two. In this hobby there are lots of alternatives, so do your research. You will also need to invest in a water test kit (API, Red Sea, and Salifert are all great brands).

One piece of advice people here gave me is that if you are looking to keep corals in the future, invest in the equipment at the beginning. Many corals are easier to keep than some of the fish we want. Investing in the right equipment from the start saves you money overall since you don't have to purchase things twice. That was an excellent suggestion, and one I'm still grateful for!

Back