Starting New Tank (1st cycle)

Justinb2288

Reefing newb
Ok so ive already broke this tank down and sold everything almost. Now im back at it again. Its been completely cleaned. Started it up yesturday. 75 gallon rectangle tank. I am using the bioball filter system. Did pretty good for years of being up and running. I've started the tank off with the BIOZYME and says to add daily for a week. So now im wondering as to how long this cycle will last. I have the red sea test kit. figured its pointless to test now? The quicker the better, gonna drive me crazy staring at an empty tank. Any ideas on jump starting this.

And i was also going to add some live sand from the beach??? grab a cooler and shovel and get some sand??? Anything bad with this picture while its cycling???

Sand from the beach is not the best idea... you have no idea what is in it. And I'm not just talking hitchhikers. Pollution abounds.

Everyone's cycle is different, and some take longer than others. There will be no way for you to know unless you test. Biozyme may not be enough to start a cycle. I would drop in a raw piece of shrimp (the kind you get at the grocery store) to give the bacteria something to feed off of.

yes, and i wouldnt use beach sand and ocean water. For one, its illegal to take beach sand for two, it can be full of nasty pollutants, same for the water (but its not illegal)

+1 fish.....all the oil and muck float to the surface....you really want that water in your tank? You'd have to dive pretty deep and collect cleaner water.

Back