starting out with corals?

WaVe RiDeR

Reefing newb
I have been in and out of salt water aquariums and was thinking about getting in to corals, i have a 30 gal tank how do i go about fitting the for corals lights, reactors, filters etc. i was thinking about maybe LPS or maybe even SPS, and also how to care for each suggested coral?

I got an 2 bulb T5 light set from petco for about 49.00 and purchased some good quality bulbs from bulk reef supply in the colors that I like.

I currently have frogspawns, duncans, anthelias, gorgonians and several species of live plants.

If you are on a budget I recommend getting a T5 set they offer the widest variety of bulb colors and options.

60.00 bucks from aquatraders for a 4bulb fixture stock bulbs are doing alright in my 29 tank ive got a variety of corals, acro acans duncans zoas shrooms etc. No problems at all with them.

Edit: I would agree changing stock bulbs is a great idea though.

For SPS, I'd look for either a 150w MH pendant or a 4 bulb T-5 fixture. As far as filters, in a 30 you can get away with just 10-15% weekly water changes but, if you wanted to you could add a skimmer like the tunze 9002 or Hydor slim skim. Both are very good nano skimmers.

60.00 bucks from aquatraders for a 4bulb fixture stock bulbs are doing alright in my 29 tank ive got a variety of corals, acro acans duncans zoas shrooms etc. No problems at all with them.

Edit: I would agree changing stock bulbs is a great idea though.

Oh really? I will have to check that out. I want to upgrade to a 4 bulb but I really want it to be able to have 2 separate switches so I can have them all on or just 2 at a time.

For T-5s, ATI bulbs are some of the best out there. You'd just need to find a color combination that you like.

oh okay, as far as skimmers if i didn't want to have the tunze 9002 or Hydor slim skim tanking up space in the tank what HOB or in sump skimmers do you suggest for my tank?

You shouldn't have to dose anything until you have a lot of hard corals. The only way you'll need to know if dosing is required is by testing your tank.
Here are two good articles that may help you if the time comes that you need to dose.
A Simplified Guide to the Relationship Between Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium and pH by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
Chemistry And The Aquarium: How To Select A Calcium And Alkalinity Supplementation Scheme — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

Back