Starting over....

Piper106

Reefing newb
Hello everyone! Years ago I had a 55 gal tank with fish and live rock. After the split it was sold. New hubby picked up a 220 gallon 5 weeks ago!! Amazing birthday gift!!! Immediately added 200 lbs of live rock ( fully cured) and a week later LFS tested the water and said I could add fish. I now have 3 damsels, a percula clown, yellow tang, various shrimp and hermits, and 3 days ago I added a lionfish. The water is still perfect?? Is this normal? I thought it was all going a little too fast.......

If you thought, why would you do? Yes, thats way too fast, even for a large tank (which, btw, I wish my wife would be so kind...).

Slow down. In a large tank, you can probably add 1-3 fish per week, but larger specimens will obviously need spread out more.

welcome in....as far as to fast, well we have all been there. Keep some emergency water available for a water change and hit the breaks for a while. since this sounds like a FOWLR tank "if" you get a ammonia spike treat the tank with prime and it will detoxify it. If that happens I would still do a water change. The two hardest things in this hobby are going slow and keeping your hands dry...We have all been there...you can do it..

I do have 50 gallons of emergency water ready to go..lol. I remembered that much. I just remember it being a lot harder to get the tank ready to go. As for adding more fish, I'm done for now. A couple thousand dollars spent already has forced him to put the brakes on. Everything is testing good for now, so I don't want to push it!

This is the whole tank so far.....

image.jpg

Back