Starting over

wontonflip

I failed Kobayashi Maru
Ok, so it boils down to this. I've become unhappy with my tank setup. And the last straw is that the salt creep is causing all sorts of problems in my sump room (it's our utility room). So I want to move it under the tank instead and go smaller.

Then I decided I really hate my tank because it's so old. Plus I still have my ghetto lighting lol. So I have decided to take down this tank completely and start over. I don't have corals except some mushrooms.

I'm waiting until next year, then starting over with another 125g. Only this time, getting a new tank (my 125g was bought used, and is old, but is in otherwise good condition), and proper lighting.

I've sent a "first dibs" email to a local fellow livingreefer for a couple of the bigger fish, and if she doesn't want them, I'll see if there are any takers here for pickup. My brother is taking my clownfish and maybe the chromis. Those two I've had for 5 years.

I'm keeping all my equipment except the 125g which I'll put up in clist. After selling my old Jetta and using that money to pay for my Octopus, no way am I letting go of that beast LOL Plus the powerheads. I'll need them for the new tank.

In the meantime, the gaping hole that would be my tank stand will be converted into a bar where I can drink away my sadness of not having a tank for a while :mrgreen:

I's sorry you had to tear down your tank.
But it is a normal part of reefing. Sometimes you just want to make significant changes that would involve tearing down the tank and starting over.

The important thing is that when you do your next build, you remember all the lessons you have learned from your previous builds so that you start your next tank way ahead of the curve.

Good luck with your next tank, and take your time. :)

I know that I will have to tear my tank down eventually.
Since I am only renting this house it is inevitable that I will move sometime in the near future and have to set up the tank at the new place.
Whether it will be just a regular tank move or if I start over completely will depend on the situation when that time comes.

I's sorry you had to tear down your tank.
But it is a normal part of reefing. Sometimes you just want to make significant changes that would involve tearing down the tank and starting over.

Ain't that the truth! I started with a 45g....then when I started my 125g, I applied some stuff I learned into the 125g. And now, because of financial reasons, I'm stuck at just maintaining my tank instead of enjoying it. I thought by now I'd have extra funds to really play with better lighting and other stuff, but no-go. So I felt it best to take it down, regroup, and start over to be where I really want my tank to be.

LOL That's the spirit :D It will be a while though.

My brother was like "Can't I have the tang, too?" -- mind you, he's taking my 20g :shock: I was like no way!

Are you sure on a 125? Why not get a 120g dimension are so much better. 4x2x2. That way you'll be able to throw a 40g breeder in as a sump. Just my $0.02. Sure either way it'll be sweet. And GL

Then it settle. Size does matter. Lol 180g 6x2x2. Had a friend pick a brand new one up with a 75g for a sump for $750 with bulkheads and plumbing. Luck for us a wholesaler just opened the doors up to the public but you have to pay a monthly fee.

I feel you on this one Gretchen. I have learned so much during my time with a 180. I came close to tearing it down a few times, but this site got me through. I am at the stage where I want to redo the filtration and the plumbing - which basically requires a full teardown.

If I'm going to do that, I might as well upgrade......

So there is a Marineland 300 DD in my future :)

I mean I love my tank. But I'm financially not willing to do much more with this old tank. The biggest thing being that I need to move my sump out of the utility room. Salt creep is getting on all the stuff in there and causing corrosion I thought sale doesn't evaporate lol guess it's just moisture. I don't have the heart to redo the sump by moving it.

When you get to the point of that kind of major work when you almost have to take the tank offline anyway, you might as well sit down and determine if there is anything else that makes sense to change while your at it.

My current 180 has a lot of scratches, from a bad pad on a Portal that I didnt catch until after a half dozen little kids left (they spent the whole afternoon looking through it). Every time I get close to the tank I get mad about how it looks. If I am going to tear it down to fix the scratches and re-do the filtration in the stand, I might as well just get a new tank while I'm at it - so I know exactly how you feel

Question is where to dump the salt water. I suppose I could just take a bucket little by little and dump the water in the tub LOL The bathroom is close enough so maybe i'll just get a super long hose to drain it. There is also a small drain hole in the utility room where my line for the dirty RO/DI water drains into, but i don't want to risk having salt clog it up.

Sad to hear you are breaking it down but I totally get it. And I'm also of the opinion that if you're going to set up a new tank at least make it slightly bigger! I'd go with a 180 or 265 personally :)

LOL yeah, have to thinking about what I want...if I want it custom built or just pick out a prebuilt one. Definitely has to be predrilled.

I found someone to take my tank. It's my friend's brother. I already warned him of the initial costs for the equipment, and he's ready to take it on. He's only getting my tank, some sand to seed his new sand, a few rocks (told him to buy base rock), and 2 of the fish. I'm making sure he sets it up correctly and uses the right equipment.

Back