startn salt tank

mj442k

cable guy!
im new to the game. looking for advise on what to use for a fitration system for a 180 gallon acrylic tank? cheapest way?

Not gonna be cheap, buddy. Youre looking at at least $600 in lights, $200+ for a good in-sump skimmer, probably $100+ on a diy sump, more if you buy one made. Plus $100+ on plumbing, another $50+ on a return pump. You also need powerheads, probably $150+ for those, heaters are gonna bee another cost. Youre looking at $2000+ and then tank, stand, salt, rock (which youd need at least 260 lbs) and sand. After its set up, you have livestock and corals.

Point being, it isnt a cheap hobby by any means, but its a great one. If you choose to pursue, youve picked a great site to join, everyone is really helpful and someone will be able to help you every step of the way. Remember to go slow, its not a race (think of the tortoise and the hare).

Post any questions as you have them and good luck!

I would say all said and done, $3500-4000+, including heaters, all the way to some ReefBreeder LED's x3 @$180/ea. And rock, sand, some fish and coral.

thanks guys. im goin to keep everyone updated as i go. picked up a 180 last week. took about 2 nights after work to remove all the scratches and buff crystaql clear. 1 1/2 and a 1 inch holes are drilled into the bottom of the overflow box. what should i find next? trying to get everything cheaper off craigslist. im a craigslist shopper! my wife happens to be in the import/export business of exotic corals and fish. she gets shipments all over the world. i want to start a reef system than start fraging on the side....for some extra money:)

Well, start with ReefBreeder lights. Get 3x whatever is $179/ea. because theyre crazy good. Just call about optics before you order.

Back