Stay tuned! The begining of a DIY 10G sump

Ok cool, what exactly is a joint collar? do you have pictures?

I will be working on the return line today and will post pictures when complete.. I need to go out and buy an adapter to my mag pump.... and a few elbows. I will be making the lines identical with the ball valve and union. Uniform piping :D

a joint collar is what you glue two pieces of PVC tubing end to end with.

I have 2 small slow leaks in my baffles... one of them is from the first baffle to the raised baffle and from the raised baffle into the return section... none of the leaks cause any air bubbles or anything.... and you can hardly notice them.. is this a problem?

Thanks. Also, after everythings glued together and setup.. do you have to wait any time for the glue/primer to cure? or is it fish safe right after its used? Also when filling up the sump, do you add water gradually? Or do you fill up the sump to the short baffles then start the pump?

I would wait at least a day for the glue to dry. You'll need to fill it up at least high enough for the water to flow over the baffles. after you get the system going, I'd shut the return pump off just to make sure that the sump can handle the extra water.

I would wait at least a day for the glue to dry. You'll need to fill it up at least high enough for the water to flow over the baffles. after you get the system going, I'd shut the return pump off just to make sure that the sump can handle the extra water.

sorry....... but I must disagree..:D
I have used PVC and the glues professionally for 30+ years.. you must wait ... maybe 10 minutes. ... I have never waited more than a minute when applying serious pressure. The trick is to twist the joint about 90° into position. The other problem is many people are to cheap with the glue.. slop it on.

It isn't really a glue but an agent that melts the plastic and fusses the two pieces together. If you don't get them in the right place in a few seconds you are done and aren't going to get it there.

:D:D:D:D

It dries quickly but I'd still wait before running your system water through it ... Same reason why you give silicone a little extra time before filling it.

The water height all depends on you, I always ran mine at about 8 inches to give some extra room for evap, just in case.

It dries quickly but I'd still wait before running your system water through it ... Same reason why you give silicone a little extra time before filling it.

The water height all depends on you, I always ran mine at about 8 inches to give some extra room for evap, just in case.

Absolutely agreed!

Before running the fresh glued PVC in living water wait a couple of days.... AND always rinse it good first. But to test with non-living water go for it.

Now as for those pin holes... duck tape one end closed and place your vacuum on the other the apply PVC glue to the areas that leaked.. skip the primer... it will draw the glue in and fix those leaks.

Last edited:
Updated pics of the 10g sump/plumbing/pump/37g. I made a little "door" to mount my Neptune apex controller energy bar, mp10 pump controller etc. also put hinges at the top so it lifts up and I can access my plumbing (unions/ball valves). The return line is not finished yet :( havent had the time to put it all together. It will be done this weekend for sure! Ill put up more pictures soon when it is complete.

Attachments

• sump11.jpg
    sump11.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 295
  • sump12.jpg
    sump12.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 282
  • sump13.jpg
    sump13.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 278
  • sump14.jpg
    sump14.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 297
  • sump15.jpg
    sump15.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 286
Haha Biff.

Plumbing is almost done.. I have my drain line, and return line in.. Just need to make 1 last trip to the hardware store after work tomorrow and pick up 2 1'' ball valves, and 2 1'' unions.. I was thinking about putting a true union check valve into my return line.. but their like $80.00! Wasnt expecting that..But I will post pictures tonight of what I have done so far.

A question I have is... what can I put at the end of my return line instead of just plain ole pvc pipe hanging down into my tank? Also.. Whats the best way to plumb my MAG pump into my PVC? Just a 1/2'' female threaded adapter and barb fitting or something? Any ideas?

Back