Steal of a deal on led lights @ Costco!!!

Reefkeepr

Reefing newb
Check this out - - I found a great led setup at Costco a few days ago. Finally a lunar led light setup that will give the aquarium light racketeers a run for their money.

It looks like it will make a great lunar light system. Plus, because of the dimmer, it can be bumped up to (probably significantly) add to whatever other lighting system you have on your tank.

It is incredibly flexible - can add foot-long sections (up to 6). Has a wireless switch, and has adhesive mounts (although I am going to use ties along with the adhesive just to be safe). Each foot-long section has 6 led lights, so for $30 you get as much as 36 leds.

Here is a link to the exact same product, although Amazon.com is selling it for $49.99, and you can get it at Costco RIGHT NOW for $29.99.

Sorry to sound like an infomercial, but I have been frustrated with the lighting companies and what looks to me like a monopoly that they are enjoying. Good for Costco!

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0040UMHNE/ref=asc_df_B0040UMHNE1250036?smid=A30N2LHQ125S3D&tag=dealtmp5041-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B0040UMHNE]Amazon.com: Pelion Link Light LED Lighting System Remote Controlled 6 Feet of LED Lighting - Includes: 6 Light Bars w/ 36 LED's: Home Improvement[/ame]

Reefkeepr

That first link might not have worked - - let's try this again. If this one bombs, just go to amazon's website and do a search for "
Pelion Link Light LED Lighting System Remote Controlled"

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Pelion-Lighting-System-Remote-Controlled/dp/B0040UMHNE/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1284522687&sr=1-2]Amazon.com: Pelion Link Light LED Lighting System Remote Controlled 6 Feet of LED Lighting - Includes: 6 Light Bars w/ 36 LED's: Home Improvement[/ame]

Ah that link works! Those look neat. They look pretty easy to mount along the back of the tank, or along the back of the existing light fixture.

That's exactly what I did tonight. It works great... Steal of a deal, considering that the aquarium light folks want $15 per LED fixture, plus more bucks for the power supply. This has it all.

Did anyone ever test the output levels on these? I love the l.e.d. shimmer effect....would it be worth adding something like this to a 4 bulb 216 watt setup?

GL with those LEDs.....Just my opinion but i dont think anything from Costco is gunna last all that long. CoralVue makes cheap LED strips. I have one with 30+ LEDs on my mantis tank and my reef has 56. IMO they both r almost too bright and could be used on bigger tanks....i prolly coulda used the 24" one on my 3 foot tank.

Thanks for replying...they are not the only lighting for the reef tank right? You say they are almost too bright, but they dont produce enough light alone for corals do they? I am looking into a 4 bulb 216 watt light for a reef tank Im starting...thought i might be able to go with the 2 bulb, and use something like these...cause i like the l.e.d. shimmer. Is that enough light for easy to moderate corals? Or should I get the 4 bulb and add this just for effect? I dont need to see my tank from the goodyear blimp but I want enough light for soft corals and whatever I graduate to....

The metal halide lights also give the shimmer effect. And reef LED seem to be different from the LEDs in this fixture.

I think the light you are getting is good enough for almost any coral.

Pokerfish google sps power bar. That's the best I could do for u for led strips go, growing corals wise....my blue LEDs are just for night time. As far as t5 wise...how big is the tank going to be? I'd do 4 t5's at te least if it's anything over 30g

I have a 55 gallon...I'm getting a 4 bulb t5 216 watt setup..I just really like the shimmer of the L.E.D. and thought maybe I could go 2 bulb t5 and some L.E.D. to boost it up...but research (and your advice) leads me to believe that I should get the 4 bulb and throw in an L.E.D. bar for accent later...I'd do metal halide (i know you get shimmer from that) but my impression are they run hotter and require more cooling than t5.
Very much appreciate you doing research for me....

Actually all most people need to get the metal halide heat thing under control is clip a fan to their tank.

But you are right, you should do at least 4 bulbs + LEDs

I think MH get a bad rap for overheating. It took me a bit to figure out how to balance the heat from my heater and the heat from my lights, but now my tank holds steady at a pleasant 80*.

I'm not hating on Metal Halide (shoulda been an 80's hair band name...ROCK ON METAL HALIDE!!) ...they look and are awesome...but if I can avoid heat issues and noise from fans (plus the mh fixtures and bulb replacement are more $) and get shimmer effect cheaply it seems like a good idea...it looks like the l.e.d. thing is gonna blow up soon and theres gonna be a lot of options...so I'm gonna go T5 and see how it looks......

Back