Still fighting high nitrates

recliner

Reefing newb
I moved someone's 110 gal tank into my empty 150. I'm using the same 29 gallon sump for my 150 that was on the 110. It is stocked with 200+ pounds of live rock and lots of sand. Also came with lots of coral, anemone, and fish. When I set it up 3-4 weeks ago I used as much of the water as I could from the 110 tank. 40 gallons of ro/di water I had and unfortunately 25 gallons of water from wal-mart. Since then I have only been using my ro/di water (that I have tested and shows 0 nitrates) for water changes and top off.
My problem is that my nitrates are still 30-40. This week I bumped my water change up to 50 gallons and am planning on doing 50 gallon per week water changes until it gets to 0. Before this week I was only doing 15 gallon.
Is there anything else I can do to help? I'm worried about all my live stock.

You can keep doing the water changes and put in some macro algae. The nitrates probably came from all the stirred up sand. We recommend you toss the old sand when you move a tank because so much gunk gets caught up in it.

I have a pretty good amount of chaeto algea in my sump. I did a 50 gallon change 2 days ago and my nitrates looked about 30-40 when tested today. Should I stick to changing 50 gallons every 7 days or do two 25 gal changes or change more then 50 every week?
I have a Rena xp3 filter with lots of new filters and bio balls just sitting in my garage waiting to be sold, would it help at all in addition to my sump?

What salt are you using? How old is the test kit/what brand?

I would step up the water changes. Do a 50 gal and then a 25 a few days later and see what happens. They should reduce the nitrates anywhere from 15-20ppm.....of course, that would be if there were no additional source of nitrates and with any livestock there always is...but a couple more 20 or so water changes will get them into a decent range I believe.

After that you'll only need to change about 10-15% of your water volume every week or two and probably be fine.

I'm using instant ocean sea salt and the test kit is brand new from API. It is the master test kit that measures ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. It's expiration date is 05/17.

Have you tested the new water before adding it to the tank? If thats good then it had to be the sand when moved. All you can do is the water changes and wait it out. :twocents:

Yeah, on my last water change I thought to test the new water and it tested at 0 parts. Is 50 gallons a week ok or would more be better?
Also my protein skimmer drains into the ejector pit for my bathroom so I could just turn it up really high during the day if that would help. Currently it the stuff that drins off is colored like weak tea.

I would follow cvdrk advise on water changes. I dont think i would mess with the skimmer. Just do the water changes and wait it out.

I'm not a 100% sure on this, but I think it has to do with the size of particles it removes. Also you run a greater risk of it overflowing.

I have a drain tube that runs from the bottom of the collection canister and drains it into the ejector pit that my bathroom drains run to.

I wet skim 100% of the time. I figure it pulls the maximum amount of garbage out of the tank....and once you've seen then you KNOW you don't want it in there! haha

Did a 45 gallon water change about 8 hours ago. I just tested nitrates and they are at about 10. Hopefully I have weathered the storm and in 2-3 more weeks after 2-3 more big water changes i will be at 0.

Back