Still Fighting Red Algae

Piggy

Reef enthusiast
This stuff is so raining on me that I'm about ready to scream. The crap is sticking to my corals. I've been using a baster to squirt it off. I know this is stressing them. How do you know when a coral is dying? My colt looks like it is. The top of it is white compared to the bottom.
I suction the algae off the sand bed. Clean it off the glass. Clean my power heads that I put a plastic bag over so the crap doesn't release in the water. Emptied protein skimmer.
So today I opened up my overflows a lot to try to keep the crap floating. The water is moving fast through the sump. Will this hurt any thing?
Also I added a HOB filter to help clean up the floating pieces. This is only temporary. I added new Chemi Elite stuff. Is there anything else I can do? I tested my water and everything came out good. Going to take a sample to LFS just to make sure.
Guess I'm done venting for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Increasing the flow in your tank will help and it won't hurt anything. Nothing more else you can do. Cyano can take months to break. IT SUCKS SO BAD but stick in there, we've all been there.

In a moment of panic, I have turned off my lights for 4 days and it got rid of it.

I have also had success with using chemi-clean. It is safe with corals and has a limited success time frame, the more you use it, the less effective it will be due to the cyano building up resistance to the treatment.

-Doc

yote is very high on Marine SAT. try that its reef safe. i bought a Bar Goby for my sand bed and within a day my sand looked new. he does nothing but eat the sand and sifts it through his gills. worked wonders of me.

It won't happen over night so give it some time.The Chemipure should help slowly but surely.Its all part of the algae cycle-brown to green to cyano.

Since I do not know how your system is set up, pumps, water movement, lighting etc, all I can offer is what I do. since I feed very heavy I do experiance red cyno outbreaks from time to time. I let the cyno run its course, blow off any that gets to close to the corals, and just let the rest go its course, as it does it will lift up off of what ever it is on and float to the top. the nutrients that cause it will dissipate unless you reintroduce um to the system. I use sea cucumbers, fighting conchs for substrait cleaning, and nirites, and astea snails for the rocks, and glass. both the astea and nirites will eat red cyno. I also have a dozen emeral crabs that control the other algaes. now the emerals can be a little destructive to some of the corals when larger but with the correct number the benefit should outweigh the damage. be careful with additives as some will also kill your bacteria bed and so the problem will compound itself. good luck keep us posted and just be patient it will eventually get better.

Back