Still have ICH?

Discussion in 'Fish Disease' started by billy816, May 7, 2013.

1. billy816

billy816

I had a decent tank with 3 chromis, a dottyback, two clowns and a lawnmower gobby that I had bought all at the same fish store. Well, the wife fell in love with a coral beauty angel that we had seen at another fish store and we bought it along with a sand sifter. Well to make a long story short, the angelfish had ICH and it has managed to kill off every fish in my tank but 1 Chromis. I was told to switch the food to frozen shrimp soaked in garlic, zoe and ich attack and to remove the filter and start ICH treatment. It has been 3 weeks since the last fish has died and the owner of the fish store I go to (never going anywhere else EVER) said I should try some more Chromis to see how they do. I havent done a water change in a month because I also heard i wasn't supposed to. I plan a water change this weekend because I just put the filer back in. I'm just scared to put more fish in to my tank. What should I do? Plus I haven't been into saltwater aquariums for long and I don't have the money for a quarantine tank. Any advice?

billy816, May 7, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. billy816

Civicdemon Go Big Or Go Home !

1. Advertisements

3. billy816

wontonflip I failed Kobayashi Maru

Read that link civic posted. Prettu much, your tank will always have ich unless you leave it fallow/fishless for a few months. but if yoy keep your parameters healthy, your fish can easily fight it off.

Side note, your tank is overcrowded, if your signature is accurate. in a 29 g tank, you are limited to 3 or 4 fish max. That probably contributed to their stress, and making them less likely to fight off ich. And if your tank is only 3-4 months old, you stocked it way too fast. you need to wait 2-3 months in between adding 1 or 2 fish. As hard as it is to do, slow down :)

wontonflip, May 7, 2013
  4. billy816

ErinCahir Sausage Wrangler

+1 wonton

ErinCahir, May 7, 2013
  5. billy816

billy816

The lady at LFS said the same thing about getting too much too soon but I had to laugh because she was the one that sold most of it to me! Thanks for the advice and your right, it is hard!

billy816, May 7, 2013
  6. billy816

wontonflip I failed Kobayashi Maru

Typical ;) LFS's, no matter how good/friendly, are businesses. It's about money. The more fish they push on you that you kill off, the more you come back to spend. I love my LFS's, but doesn't mean they won't try to sell me stuff I don't need :mrgreen:

wontonflip, May 7, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question