Still Tons of Algae

drm180

Reefing newb
I've had this algae problem for quite some time now and nothing seems to get it under control. I've tested my nitrates and phosphates but both show zero, maybe due to so much algae using it up? As you can see, there is a ton of hair algae, some cyanobacteria, a small amount of green and red bubble algae, a little red turf algae starting, and maybe even some dinos.
I've cut my light down to 7 hours per day and I only feed rinsed frozen food once or twice per week. Any other suggestions? This picture was taken after about half an hour of pulling hair algae out, so it doesn't look nearly as bad as it did earlier today. Thanks.
_CSC0348.jpg

Not familiar with your set up, but what kind of water are you using for water changes and top off and how often are you changing water?

What type of lighting is over the tank and how old are the bulbs?

How much frozen food are you feeding at each time? How many fish?

Last edited:
I'm using distilled water for top off and to mix saltwater until my new RO/DI comes in. I change two gallons a week right now.
I have 96 watts of ATI T5 bulbs over it. Half white, half actinic. They're about 7 months old now.
I have only have two fish, one clown and one dottyback. I feed what they'll eat in just a couple minutes, letting little if any extra fall to the bottom.

If you could, scoop out what doesnt get eaten. That is probably what is causing the algae. When it falls to the bottom, it will rot away and cause algae problems.

I would also up the water changes to 4 gallons a week until you get the algae under control. Continue pulling out any algae you can by hand,

Sounds like you're doing everything by the book but the nutrients are coming from somewhere to feed this algae. Bulbs are approaching end but if it's been like this for a while I wouldn't blame them.

I would continue weekly water changes at 4 gallons per week while pulling out as much HA as you can each time.

That leafy green algae looks like a macro algae. Did it come in on your live rock? Is the tank 7 months old?

I let the hermit crabs eat the few pieces that fall. I only feed a few pieces at a time though to be sure that only a little bit gets to them.

Should I do 4 gallons all at once or two gallons two days? I'm only home on the weekends so I would have to do it all then.

The tank is a year and 9 months old and has been having algae problems since it was about 4 months old. It's just getting worse now though. The halimeda algae just sprung out of my rock one day but it doesn't bother me since it's so easy to get rid of if I need to.

Are those shells all over the sand? I wonder if they are just letting detritus build up in and around them. Or are they all alive?

Last edited:
Yes they are, when I ordered snails last time a lot of empty shells came with them. Would it be better to get rid of them? I actually forgot about those being down there.

I would try to keep the sandbed clean so nothing can build up around those shells. At least not that many. Also, at each water change, I would pull out one rock at a time and really scrub it good in saltwater until all rocks are done.

Hey drm, I had the same thing in my Biocube and in my Cadlights tanks, I covered the tank and left the lights off for a week, did water changes every week, 5 gallons out of 25. It was a continuous battle, I finally caved in and bought some Algae Zap from SeaPora. I was concerned for the fish and the corals, and the snails. After 4 days everything had cleared up, did a water change to remove most of the chemicals from the water. I had no adverse reaction on any other life in the tank, corals and snails are fine, fish seem quite content without all the algae. I not saying this is for everyone, and will most likely get slammed for putting that in my tanks, but desperate times called for desperate actions, so I took the chance. I am not sorry I did tanks are clean and clear now. Just my two cents, to try and help. About using distilled water, it has no minerals in it at all, I used to purchase 5 gallon containers from a local distributor, $3.00 a fill was worth the money. Keep us posted....

This where my tank was 2 months ago. It is now completely clear of it, as the product worked I would suck out a s much as I could during water changes....

Attachments

• DSCN0182.jpg
    DSCN0182.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 289
Wow, that seems like a good option then if things get too out of hand. Did the week without lights stress your corals too much? I have a BTA and I'm not sure that it can go a whole week without any lights.

Lights out is a great idea also. Do it for 4 days before your water change so that when you turn them back on you can do a change right away to take the dead algae out of the water. Four days max with a nem otherwise you're asking for trouble.

Back