Still working on the 35

Neno reefs

Reefing newb
Well I have been taking a bit of a break on the reef tank (Never really got going)
Any who i am currently facing a calcium problem. My API test wont even go high enough so my Calcium has to be in the 600+ range and my KH is 10, Nitrates are high so im going to be doing a water change every 3 days until they are back down. But im mainly worried about the calcium??

Yea, what's going on with that? Are you dosing? Your pumps and heaters should be white in color and precipitation. If your not dosing, I'd think you should update your test kit.

There is a bit of white stuf on my rocks/heater that looks like sand but it isn't. My salinity is at .29 so I might try lowering that, PH looks good at 8.0. Im not dosing with anything and I use Kent salt. Tomorrow il re-test and see if maybe the test was just off.

Well calcium still is the same, and I literally got calcium everywhere in the tank. Going to do another WC tomorrow but I think the salt might be the problem?? But I don't know why because I know a lot of people that use this salt and have no problems. I did lower the salinity to .25 but it didn't seem to help. Is there anything I could add to lower calcium?

Put more coral in?

What salt brand are u using? The salt mix should be stirred up before using. Sometimes the calcium chloride will settle at the bottom resulting I'm higher ca.

currently I have no coral, reason being wont the high calcium kill them?
Im using Kent salt, and I think that's my problem, even after mixing it with a power head for 48hours and there is still white calcium on the bottom. Maybe if I just suck it up before I add it to the tank?

High ca doesn't kill coral. Low ca kills. I've never used kent, just iorc. It's precipitating because there is so much calcium chloride. Did u test the mix before the w/c for cal. content?

Since we're on nitrates. ..... what are yours?
600 is high and you will have some fall out of cal, but it won't harm the coral. I know a few that keep 500+. Just get it down below 500 and you'll be fine.

right now nitrates are 80, don't know how that happened because there is only 1 clownfish but im guessing its because of all the algae die off.

Good news is got some nice purple coralline algae starting so that should help a bit on the Calcium

Back