Stock List For a 1000 Gallon FOWLR

It seems to me that your tank is more then 50 gallons, and you have more than $60... :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

It seems to me that your tank is more then 50 gallons, and you have more than $60... :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Yes, and yes. An octopus tank would kick ass! But from what I know about them, they live very short lives in captivity, and I couldn't buy an animal knowing that I couldn't provide it the environment it needed to thrive. :(

Yes, and yes. An octopus tank would kick ass! But from what I know about them, they live very short lives in captivity, and I couldn't buy an animal knowing that I couldn't provide it the environment it needed to thrive. :(

I was under the impression they don't live very long in the wild, either...

I was under the impression they don't live very long in the wild, either...

Octopus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Octopuses have a relatively short life expectancy, and some species live for as little as six months. Larger species, such as the North Pacific Giant Octopus, may live for up to five years under suitable circumstances. However, reproduction is a cause of death: males can only live for a few months after mating, and females die shortly after their eggs hatch. They neglect to eat during the (roughly) one month period spent taking care of their unhatched eggs, but they do not die of starvation. Endocrine secretions from the two optic glands are the cause of genetically programmed death (and if these glands are surgically removed, the octopus may live many months beyond reproduction, until she finally starves)."

:shock::shock::shock:

Hmm, I like these dimensions. It's 900 gallons. 10ftx4ftx3ft.

That sounds expensive. Probably over $5000 for just the tank and the stand and the sump...

Way more then $5000 I'm sure. A custom 500g from Glass-cages costs $2,700, by itself. On top of that, you're looking at over 10,000 pounds of weight for that whole setup, if it were me I'd hire an engineer to make sure the floor/foundation can handle that much weight.

Last edited:
Way more then $5000 I'm sure. A custom 500g from Glass-cages costs $2,700, by itself. On top of that, you're looking at over 10,000 pounds of weight for that whole setup, if it were me I'd hire an engineer to make sure the floor/foundation can handle that much weight.

Yah, lol.

California Two-spot Octopus: Facts, Discussion Forum, and Encyclopedia Article
The variation in size and life span among octopus species makes it difficult to know how long a new specimen can naturally be expected to live. That is, a small octopus may be just born or may be an adult, depending on its species. By selecting a well-known species, such as the California Two-spot Octopus
California Two-spot Octopus
california_two-spot_octopus.gif

The California Two-spot Octopus , also known as the "Bimac Octopus", is an octopus species that lives off the coast of California. One can identify the species by the circular blue eyespots on each side of its head. Due to their friendly temperament and relative hardiness, they are considered by...

, one can choose a small octopus (around the size of a tennis ball
Tennis ball
A tennis ball is a ball designed for the sport of tennis, approximately 6.7 cm in diameter and is usually bright green-yellow, but in recreational play can be virtually any colour...

) and be confident that it is young with a full life ahead of it

Back