Stock list ideas

Rcchanlder

Reefing newb
Im setting up a 75 gal with a 55 gal sump. Im going to transfer over my 29 gal. Right now i have:

Fish:
six line wrasse
Ocellaris clown
Midus Blenny

Invert:
small daisy polyp
hermit crabs
snails

Im thinking of adding

mandrian goby
kole Tang
pajama cardinal
and a lot of corals and inverts

any ideas on some good additions?

Some will say the Tang would need a bigger tank so it might be best to reconsider if you're going to have other larger fish. A Mandarin will need a very established tank so you should wait to add that 6 months down the road.

Last edited:
I think the Tang will be ok in the 75, Koles are smaller, but like dcant said, if you go with a tang youll be limited as far as any other larger fish...

some of the dwarf angel are really nice, if youre willing to risk their reef safeness

also, 6line wrasses can be a pain once they get established, so you could switch that our for another kind of wrasse

yeah, i guess i could leave the six line in the 29 gal for now. i have been considering getting a different wrasse. i already have the midas blenny. i wasnt sure how well he would get along with another. the scooters are fun to watch. i was going to wait a bit for the mandrian. i figured since i will have a refugium i would be able to keep plenty of copepods stocked up. Not sure if i willing to risk the angel

If you are considering a different wrasse, may I suggest the carpenter's flasher wrasse? Very active fish, nice colors and nice display behavior

yeah, i guess i could leave the six line in the 29 gal for now. i have been considering getting a different wrasse. i already have the midas blenny. i wasnt sure how well he would get along with another. the scooters are fun to watch. i was going to wait a bit for the mandrian. i figured since i will have a refugium i would be able to keep plenty of copepods stocked up. Not sure if i willing to risk the angel
A scooter has the same needs as a mandarin so if you get one, you should probably skip the other or at the very least wait 6+ months so that you can be sure your pods repopulate after adding the first.

has anyone had any luck with the filefish? they are pretty interesting but the bio says reef safe with caution. To me that just sounds like not reef safe.

depends on what type of filefish you are talking about. Several of them eat aiptasia but once the tank is cleared they turn to your LPS. If you want a File, get it through a LFS and have them get it started eating frozen foods before you take it home.

They can be complicated because of their eating habits. +1 to mng777777, you'd want to actually observe it feeding at your LFS to make sure it will eat frozen foods. As Yote would put it, you've got a 50/50 chance of the fish behaving according to its bio, or becoming the black sheep in the flock.

Back