Stock List / Wish List

Dantitan

Reefing newb
My current stock for my tank is: 1 Oc. Clown, 1 Yellow watchman, 1 brittle star, 1 sand sifting star, 1 turbo snail, 5 nass. snails, 3 blue-legged hermits, 1 mexican red-legged hermit, 1 feather duster,1 Emerald Crab, and 1 mystery hermit (white-legged maybe??).

My wish list is as follows: 1 Flame Angel, 1 Mandarin, 1 Yellow Tang, and the wife wants a Regal Tang, but I'm not so sure about it. Corals that I have picked out so far are the Hammer, Frogspawn,and Flower Pot, but that will be later on in another few months. Also, what do you guys think about oysters?

I've never really heard of oysters being kept. Do you mean clams? Clams are really popular and common -- no reef tank is complete without a clam or two!

The rest of your stock list looks fine. A regal tang is pushing it in a 75 -- it probably won't do too well. But the rest of the fish will work out fine.

Flower pots can be challenging. Pick a darker colored one (like the red or purple variety) to increase your chances of succes. They are one of the more difficult corals to keep.

In general, most LPS corals are easy to keep. Take a look at fox corals, brain corals, bubble corals, acans and blastomussa corals. What do you think of those?

My LFS has some oysters. They aren't much to look at, just looks like a rock with small cracks. He said that they were good filter feeders though, and I'm always up for something that helps me filter my water naturally.

What are the challenges of keeping a Flower Pot? I really like them and my LFS has one that is a darker maroonish red color.

I was thinking the same thing on the Regal.

For the flower pots, look for an ORA or aquacultured one, everything that I have read about them said that they are generally hardier than the wild harvested ones.

I would skip that particular tang in that size system.Try one of the smaller bristletooth or kole tang since they stay small for a tang.

The darker maroon(red) gonioporas are easier then even the purple.They are still not considered an ''easy'' coral though.Some and some may not take to small meaty foods like cyclopeeze or other small zooplankton.If the polyps wrap around the food then they are eating.If they just retract,not so much.I have a red(actually a pink) that has not been directly fed for two years.If they do eat then twice a week direct feeding will work.Turn all the pumps off,they are slow eaters.

With my current stock, would it be too much if I added the flame angel, yellow tang, kole tang, mandarin, and a couple of shrimp. Not all at once, of course.

I think those would be fine. Keep in mind the flame may not be completely safe around your corals. But all the fish should get along. The two tangs might fight at first, but will settle in after a few days.

If you can possibly achieve it, you ought to introduce your 2 tangs to the tank at the same time. This can reduce some fighting that may take place if one is more established than the other. If you are able to do that, try to do it right after a water change to reduce the effects of a bioload spike.

Biff, I have a flame angel and want to start adding corals. Are the flames horribly bad with the corals? I just got rid of my picasso trigger for this same reason.

ange I had a flame that was a model citizen until about 1 year after I had him he decided to munch on my cynaria. They are generally fine when younger but as they get older they tend to be nippers.

Biff, I have a flame angel and want to start adding corals. Are the flames horribly bad with the corals? I just got rid of my picasso trigger for this same reason.

Some will eat corals, some won't. It seems to be about a 50/50 shot. Some people have kept one with no problems, others had it nip everything in their tank.

Back