Stocking a 180 gallon

Sperry6591

Reefing newb
I have a 180 gallon reef looking to add a few more fish but need a few suggestions so far I have,

x1 Blue Hippo Tang
x2 Ocellaris Clowns
x5 Blue Green Chromis
x1 Canary Blenny
x2 Cleaner Shrimp
x1 Tiger Watchman Goby.

I'm wondering if I could add another tang possibly a White Cheek tang or Achilles Tang. Any suggestions would be great thanks.

I think that you would be fine adding every fish that you named in your entire post for stocking a 180, but @ the start of your post....you state that you would like to " add a few new fish"....sooo...what fish do you currently have in the tank? That may change ALOT of your stock options

He listed his stock and is asking about another tang Chuck

I think either tang you mentioned would be okay in a 180, but I would caution against adding them now (you have plenty of room in your tank yet) Both are Acanturus tangs and once established will be mean as hell to anything added afterwards

Either one can work in a 180, but it should absolutely be the last fish added to the tank

Have you thought about some sort of dwarf angel, or a few wrasses?

White Cheek tang or Achilles Tang
Those are both great choices, IMO. however, you will want to wait till last because they will be the most aggressive. I added a PBT to my 180 and now I am afraid if I get another larger fish the tang will not allow it.

Yea you could add either of those. However keep in mind those aren't the hardiest of tangs. They get stressed easy, & are very prone to ich.

Thanks for the suggestions, about the dwarf angel, ive never had one in any of my tanks before. Ive read that they nip at corals, is this true? and is there a way to prevent them from doing so in a reef tank? Also, any thoughts on the Lyretail Anthias? do you think if I added 1 Male Anthias 2 females, a Foxface Lo and a tang, would that be too much for a 180? thanks again.

I had a lyretail, but took him back after 2 months b/c he forced me to over feed my tank. The problem was that he had to eat EVERYDAY & that's a problem when you have a bunch of greedy tangs willing to push him out the way to get his share. I was forced to squirt food all throughout the tank everyday. My nitrates hit 60-70 ppm even with my skinner working overtime.

i vote for the fox's there calm peacefull fish and WILL NOT bully
anybody
100_0378.jpg

I had a lyretail, but took him back after 2 months b/c he forced me to over feed my tank. The problem was that he had to eat EVERYDAY & that's a problem when you have a bunch of greedy tangs willing to push him out the way to get his share. I was forced to squirt food all throughout the tank everyday. My nitrates hit 60-70 ppm even with my skinner working overtime.

This x2 - my tangs made it very, very difficult to keep the Anthias fed. Adding those to a tank is definitely a commitment

While all dwarf angels are listed as 'Reef Safe with caution' there are some species that are far less prone to picking on corals than others. Some of the better choices would be a flame angel, coral beauty, rusty, and while I do not recommend them for just anyone, your 180 is big enough for a Potters angel which is one of two fish that got me into the saltwater side of the hobby. They have some special requirements, but I have had one in my 180 for over a year and a half now, if you're interested I can pass along some wisdom in a PM if you like

Yeah I have a coral beauty & a flame angel in my 220. I'm also thinking about getting 1 more dwarf angel. Just keep them fed and they won't go after corals IME.

I've done some more reading and put together a list I feel I'm set on,

x1 Blue Hippo Tang
x2 Ocellaris Clowns
x5 Blue Green Chromis
x1 Canary Blenny
x2 Cleaner Shrimp
x1 Tiger Watchman Goby.
x1 White Cheek Tang
x1 Bartlett Anthias
x1 Royal Gamma Basslet
x1 Red Mandarin
x1 Blue yellow tail Damsel

Too much?

I'd scratch the damsel personally - they are known to be super aggressive as they mature. Other than that it's a lot of small fish so I'd just make sure you have plenty of rock with places for them to hide and you should be fine

I'd trade the damsel for just 1 more tang. I hope you have a lot of rockwork for the mandarin b/c those other small fish will assist in picking off your pod population.

Last edited:
Yes I have many tunnels and caves and other hides through out my tank. Chuck, what tang would be best too add along with the hippo and whitecheek?

You can have one tang from each of the 5 families in theory. The two big families you'd have after the White Cheek and the Hippo Tang would be one of the Bristletooth Tangs, and one of the Zebrasoma tangs, as well as something from the Naso family

That being said, I would not advise a naso or any of the unicorn tangs for a 180, they need an 8 foot + tank IMO

Maybe a purple or yellow tang. If you choose purple make sure he's last. There's a nice variety of Bristletooth tangs to choose from as well. It's best to try getting a fish from each family. In a 180, you could do a hippo, white cheek, purple/yellow & a bristletooth with no problem b/c most only get 5 inches max!!! My fab Bristletooth is the Cheveron Tang but they grow to 10 inches. If I were you, I'd make the Tomini tang my 4th tang. You have a 180, so you can have a lot of fun w/o overstocking the tank. I love my 220!!!!

Back