Stocking a 55gal.

Truckie

Reefing newb
I'm looking for guidance on stocking a 55gal. Tank. I have about 60lb of rock and the tank is about 3 months old. Currently I have 2 clowns and snails/hermits (6-8 each).

The next fish I want to get is a Goby/shrimp pair (any recommendations on specific types?)

Then I would like to get a Pajama Cardinal and Flame Angel.

And finally if possible a Yellow Headed Jawfish, but I'm unsure how he would get along with the Goby.

Does this seem like a good stock list? I am considering adding the Flame Angel last because of their semi-aggressive nature.

That sounds like a great stocking list. I love the look of the jawfish, expensive jumpers thou. My watchman goby is my fave fish, stupidly enough, he's not attractive but he's silly. Those cave gobies can suck in a bigger tank if they don't make their home in a visible location, which was my problem for months and months.

I think a goby and a jawfish would be risky, especially in a 55. Without it, you would be at five fish, which is a good number for your tank anyway. Have you checked LiveAquaria for shrimp/goby pairs? Might give you some ideas.

Pinkspot Watchman and a Tiger Pistol Shrimp :)

And 5-6 fish is your limit in a 55. I'd forgo the Jawfish if you want the goby and shrimp.
Other then that, good stocking list. Though, i'd skip the Pajama cardinal and do a Bangai Cardinal. They are much cooler looking :)

Pinkspot Watchman and a Tiger Pistol Shrimp :)

And 5-6 fish is your limit in a 55. I'd forgo the Jawfish if you want the goby and shrimp.
Other then that, good stocking list. Though, i'd skip the Pajama cardinal and do a Bangai Cardinal. They are much cooler looking :)

I agree on the cardinal but the wife insists that the pj cardinal is "cuter" whatever that means lol.

Just added a yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp last night. So far they are hanging out in different areas of the tank. The shrimp is working on his burrow under one of the rocks.

Fun additions! I hope your watchman stays yellow for you, mine did not. Boo. cardinals of any kind are nice cause they're always out and about. They're too stupid to hide. I love cardinals.

Eventually, the goby will find the shrimp (it's a pistol right?) and share the same cave. Has she seen the Bangai? She can't have honestly seen the PJ and Bangai and said Pj is cuter..... does she wear glasses? If so, maybe it's time for a stronger prescription! :p

I'm hoping they pair up eventually but I'm afraid I goofed when I introduced them - The goby is slightly smaller than the pistol shrimp, and I drip acclimated them together in the same small 1-2 gal. tank. As soon as I put them in there the shrimp immediately started chasing the goby like he was going to attack him, so I separated them. Until I put them into my main tank. Since then they've been doing their own thing. The shrimp hangs out in his burrows under the rocks, but at least the goby is somewhat social and stays near the front of the tank.

As far as the PJ Cardinal, I can't explain my what my wife sees in them. But if that's any reflection of her choice in men I'm not sure what that says about me!

Eventually, the goby will find the shrimp (it's a pistol right?) and share the same cave. Has she seen the Bangai? She can't have honestly seen the PJ and Bangai and said Pj is cuter..... does she wear glasses? If so, maybe it's time for a stronger prescription! :p

Everyone has different tastes and opinions. That is what makes our world so lovely. :D

in my 55 I pushed the limits a little bit but my param's are staying great so im not to worried. If i see fluctuation i'll be changing it up. But I have 2 Clowns, 3 Blue Damsels, a Fox Face, 1 Royal Gramma, a Six Line Wrasse and a Lawn Mower Blenny.

Has she seen the Bangai? She can't have honestly seen the PJ and Bangai and said Pj is cuter..... does she wear glasses? If so, maybe it's time for a stronger prescription! :p

At what point in the cycle does the cuteness peak? How do I know if my biological filter can deal with a severe case of exuding cuteness?

Back