Stocking a Panoramic.....

ra41288

Reefing newb
Hi ladies and gents. Im new to the aquarium community and have a ton of questions to ask so i figured i would go ahead and ask you guys.

Ive recently moved into an apartment near downtown and im remodeling it for my dad. He's always had some sort of fish tank throughout his life and i would like for him to have one in the apartment as well. Given limited space i decided to get him a Panoramic wall-mounted aquarium.

The aquarium 11.5 gallons, and as ive heard, barely adequate to maintain ANY saltwater fish. So my question is: Can i maintain any sort of saltwater ecosystem in such a small tank? (i dont want to have a tank full of dead fish/plants :shock:) If so, what animals/plants should i put into the tank in order to have a diverse ecosystem?

I know 11.5 gallons is nothing but given what i have i want to make a knowledgeable decision.

Thanks guys

If you have experience with saltwater fish I'm sure it's possible. I don't exactly know what a panoramic tank is. The smaller the tank the faster bad things can happen, for an experienced reefer it might be possible. Can you give a description or links of the equipment you have or plan to purchase?

You know there are small tanks like 29g biocubes that are small and very popular in the hobby.

I just looked those wall mounted tanks up. I think that would be extremely difficult and expensive to manage with saltwater. Those units are made for freshwater, and they don't include alot of the necessary things needed to keep saltwater, and IMO you would have a very difficult time finding compatible pieces for it. Maybe somebody else will have some more info.

Last edited:
+1 PRC

if he e keeps up with the maintenance, he'll be fine. You can put a clownfish or a firefish or a damsel (if you put a damsel, you can't put anything else in there cuz it will bully it hehehe). There are lots of fish that would do fine in there. Check out liveaquaria.com to search for fish suitable for your nano.

Then if you get proper lighting (other lighting experts here will chime in on light suggestions), you can get a variety of hardy corals :) If you go reef, be mindful of the fish you get, since some will nip the corals.

Also, get a HOB (hang-in-back) skimmer/refugium.....it will help with water quality.

User RODI or Distilled water only, and don't forget a test kit and a refractometer to check your salinity!

+1 i know the wall mount tanks your talking about and there very limited with space, so keeping much of anything in there will definitly be hard and alot of work. To keep it easier on you and your dad consider going with a little bit more water volume like prc said the 24 or 28 gallon biocubes are great systems and dont take up much space. Theyd be great for starting out and provide enough space for a pair of clowns and maybe a shrimp, a few snails, and maybe a few corals :)

Its an astetic tank, It goes mounted on a wall and looks like a plasma tv. Its 69"L x 17.5" H x 5" W. Its not adequate for the hobby but i know it can be maintained in optimum conditions with small colorful fish. Im just not sure how effective such a confined space would be for a salt water fish tank (not very if i had to guess).

But if i could make it adequate with smaller fish and good filtration systems, id give it a go with salt water. Just want to be informed. Any suggestions?

I appreciate the responses guys!!! all of you are a bunch of help. Wow, im excited. Its so difficult to get any sort of help for this type of stuff in Miami. No one offers any help.

Since you guys should know, I was told that salt water fish such as Blue tangs require up to 5 gallons of water/fish. Is this true???

Cageburn, for a small 11.5 like im going to put up, what you recomend in terms of fish (list fish and how many) and plants. I know i can put too many? (dont want dead fish/plant life)

Since you guys should know, I was told that salt water fish such as Blue tangs require up to 5 gallons of water/fish. Is this true???

You're not putting ANY Tangs in that tank. There are 0 tangs that can go in that tank. At most you can have 1 or 2 small fish in that tank.

Welcome to the site!

The tank is only 5" wide... I wouldn't put ANY saltwater fish in a 5" wide tank. I just don't think those are made with saltwater ecosystems in mind. Saltwater fish need rocks to hide in... You won't be able to fit rocks in a tank of that width, and without rocks, the fish would probably stress to death. That's barely long enough for most saltwater fish to turn around in.

I'd stick with small freshwater fish if you have your heart set on that tank, or get an all-in-one system suitable for saltwater, like a BioCube or Red Sea Max.

Remember, these are not just decorations for your wall -- they are living, feeling animals, and you have a responsibility to provide them with a suitable habitat.

Last edited:
Welcome to the site!

The tank is only 5" wide... I wouldn't put ANY saltwater fish in a 5" wide tank. I just don't think those are made with saltwater ecosystems in mind. Saltwater fish need rocks to hide in... You won't be able to fit rocks in a tank of that width, and without rocks, the fish would probably stress to death. That's barely long enough for most saltwater fish to turn around in.

I'd stick with small freshwater fish if you have your heart set on that tank, or get an all-in-one system suitable for saltwater, like a BioCube or Red Sea Max.

Yea just want to have a nice looking tank, but not at the expense of having the fish die over me prefering to have a saltwater tank. It would be dumb.

If i did i would have to fit in rocks and squeeze in a couple firefish and clownfish. but idoesnt seem worth it from what ive been researching so far.

Thanks

EDIT: See thats why i ask, didnt know that about the tangs. It seems like freshwater it is..................for now. lol

Last edited:
EDIT: It seems like freshwater it is..................for now. lol

You'll be back....they ALL come back.......Muahahahahaha!

Ok, maybe not :) But if you do go with saltwater, ask us for advice :) we're way more helpful and informative than an LFS and waaaaaaay nicer than other forums (that is, until you try to burn us...but that's another story hehehehe),,,,we don't bite...unless you want us to :shock:

i definitly would not reccomend putting any fish in the 11 gallon tank. I would reccomend going with a biocube or something similar.
I appreciate the responses guys!!! all of you are a bunch of help. Wow, im excited. Its so difficult to get any sort of help for this type of stuff in Miami. No one offers any help.

Cageburn, for a small 11.5 like im going to put up, what you recomend in terms of fish (list fish and how many) and plants. I know i can put too many? (dont want dead fish/plant life)

Back