Stocking Advice for Fluval Osaka 260L

Ryan1221

Reefing newb
Hey, brand new to Living Rees. I have a fluval osaka 260l. I have 70 lbs of live rock with a 3" live sand bed. Need some stocking ideas I am new to saltwater. I plan on doing a reef tank, but my light needs to be upgraded.

I currently have:
2 True Perculas
4 Turbo Snails
4 Cerith Snails
10 Assorted Hermit Crabs

Wanting:
1 Kole Yellow Eye Tang
1 Shrimp/Prawn Goby maybe pair with a Pistol Shrimp
1 Lawnmower Blenny
1 Royal Gramma

Would this be fine? Would I be able to put anything else in? If so, what else would be good? What order should I get them in? I have been told that I should put most aggressive last.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I would skip the tang... your tank just a touch too small for them.

And you should absolutely put the most aggressive fish in last.

Absolutely.
Saltwater Fish: Marine Aquarium Fish for Saltwater Aquariums
Liveaquaria is an excellent resource for fish and tank size. Just make sure they'll be happy in under 70 gallons.
You could do a dwarf angel... or a school of chromis... there are lots of options. :)
Thanks where I go to look stuff up. I thought angels nip at coral. I have heard that chromis or cardinals will eventually kill each other off when they get bigger. What goby would you recommend?

I go there all the time to look at different fish. I heard that chromis, once they get bigger, will beat each other up until their is only one left. I also heard that angels may nip at corals. What kind of shrimp/prawn goby would you recommend? What else would I be able to put in the tank?

Chromis are kind of hit and miss with that, the people that have luck with schools have odd numbers of fish... that helps.

Angels MAY nip at corals. I've never had a flame or a coral beauty nip at corals, but I had a lemonpeel that went after SPS.

Wrasses are always an awesome addition.

Shrimp/goby combos... that's up to you. I love them all.

Cardinals won't kill each other (but I think they are pretty boring fish). Chromis might -- you can get one chromis. There's a 50/50 chance that a flame or coral beauty angel would nip at corals. They are such pretty fish, it is a chance I have always thought was worth taking. :)

Agree with the comment above. Flame Angels are lovely to watch. Mine doesn't nip at any of my corals. I have all three types normally differentiated. Softies, LPS and SPS. My flame hasn't even touched any of them. The store I got mine from has had a string of returns of Coral Beauties lately though. They are no longer even going to suggest that the might be reef safe.

I have 3 chromis. They get along fine. They were my first fish.

Royal Gramma are striking as well. I have one of those too. Its a bit on the shy side. I guess this is a characteristic of the type since both have acted the same. (lost one to ick early on) Interesting to watch. They never seem to be right side up. Mine actually hangs out under a ledge up side down! I guess they don't care about gravity.

How about a FoxFace or Rabbit fish?

I thought rabbit fish are not reef safe. Is there any wrasses that would be safe? Was looking at six line wrasse, but I have been reading that they are agresssive.

Is there any dartfish that I could put? I am trying to stay small fish wise except for the kole tang.

Rabbit fish are reef safe. They are great algae eaters. Lots of wrasses are reef safe. Sixline wrasses are a very popular choice. Some people have experienced aggression with them, but by and large they are good community fish.

I had a pair of scissortail dartfish for a while. They were interesting and different looking.

What wrasses are the least aggressive/territorial? I am trying to get my stocking list somewhat finalized so I can figure what would be the best order to get the fish in.

Back