Stocking Advice

I have a firefish, starry blenny, diamond goby, and six line wrasse in my 55 gallon. My pair of black ocellaris clowns that I have been looking forward to adding will be next. I am thinking about maybe one more fish like a damsel or chromis. I know I said awhile back no damsels because they can be so mean, but I always look at them when I go to LFS and really like them. Would I be pushing it with 7 small fish in a 55? Depending on what kind of damsel, that would give me 26-27 inches of fish at their max size. I have read different rules on stocking. 1 inch/2gal, 1 inch/ 4gal, 1inch/10 gal. So much info and opinions out there that I don't know what to go by.

I would personally stay away from damsels, especially with a firefish. I have one chromis who gets along with everyone and I love the shimmering light blue color. Or how about a cardinal?

You know, I thought about a Chromis too, but don't they need to be kept in odd numbered groups? That may be an option if I could get just one. I though about a cardinal too, but they just hang in one spot and want an active swimmer. I am definitely up for suggestions if you all don't think seven fish will be overcrowded.

After you have the clowns in there you might think its enough fish. I think most people would say 7 is your max for fish, and you definitely need to keep up with water changes. My bengaii cardinal is cool but he does hover in the same spot for most of the time (he sits right next to the frogspawn I wish my clowns woud host). I have just one chromis and he seems happy to swim next to any of the other fish (except the royal gramma who prefers to be alone). People just want them to school so they buy several. But in a 55 gal they won't school anyway in my experience, and many people say they won't school unless you have more agressive fish in the tank with them. I had 3 and ended up taking 2 back to the LFS because I thought I'd rather have different fish than 3 of the same.

Back