Stocking biocube 29

wavemaster

Reefing newb
I recently asked about adding a diamond goby to my biocube 29. Last night my clownfish attacked my chromis and killed him. The clowns have been in there with him for 1 year. This only makes me more confused on what to do as the clowns seem to be getting more mean every day. The clowns are still very small and got along fine with the chromis when I added them last year.

I am going to give the goby a try this weekend. I am thinking because it stays near the bottom the clowns will be less bothered by it. I am still looking for one more final fish to add. I want to add both at the same time so the clowns will get be even more confused. I am going to try putting the new fish in at night with all the lights off.

What should the final fish be? It must be safe with the clowns and goby, corals, shrimp, and snails. I am thinking of another fish that stays near the bottom or a 6 line wrasse. What do you guys think?

What I have now:
2 black and white ocelaris clowns
Blood shrimp
soft corals, LPS
snails, hermit crabs, sand conch

Anybody have any experience with a 6 line? I am wondering if it would be fine with the goby, snails, sand conch and my blood shrimp?

I think a 6-line would be a bit risky..They're known to be a bit aggressive and might mess with the clowns if they're still small. I heard that they've been known to be aggressive against snails as well. Have also been known to attack delicate shrimps..Not sure about blood shrimps though. But honestly, its a hit or miss fish. Depends on if you want to take the risk

If there's anyone that can correct me, go ahead. I'm just going from what has been written about them online.

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Six Line Wrasse - Reef Safe Wrasses
Sixline Wrasse

6 lines can be a little aggressive sometimes. It would be a good addition with the clowns. I would stick to the three fish though unless your tank is super stable and you are never seeing any nitrates.

We said two contradictory things, so let me explain my reasoning. The six line, which are not usually full grown when you get them and not quite as aggressive would stand a chance defending itself against bully clowns.

We said two contradictory things, so let me explain my reasoning. The six line, which are not usually full grown when you get them and not quite as aggressive would stand a chance defending itself against bully clowns.

I have heard of 6 line problems with aggression and that is what kept me away from them. But now my clowns are starting to get aggressive so I thought it might work.

My tank has been running for 6 years. For the last year, I have had the 2 clowns with the chromis (got attacked and died yesterday). I am thinking of adding 2 fish both at once and hoping this will help minimize the clowns picking on just one new fish. I know that I most likely will not get another chance to add any more fish latter if I wait. I would like to try 4 fish total in my tank and see what happens. Still not 100% sure what to do.

Keep the advice coming! I appreciate the help.

Do you think the 6 line would eventually get to the point where it would beat up the clowns or the goby? I would be worried about loosing my blood shrimp?

What else do you guys keep with your clownfish?

i had 2 Clowns, a firefish, and a watchman in thatt order. the fire jumped and i replaced him approx 6 months later with a six line and all have been playing nicely

I had a six line wrasse a long time ago and it never bothered anything. Again, I would recommend making sure your tank is stable before adding a fourth fish in a tank your size. Good luck!

Thanks guys

I ended up getting a diamond goby and a falco hawkfish. I do not know much about hawkfish, other than the falco is usually the most reef safe as far as hawkfish go.

For the goby, I bough a piece of pvc pipe and put it in the sand. I thought he may use it for his home and it would also provide some protection.

I sure hope everything works out.

Anyone have a falco hawkfish?

Back