Stocking...feedback (the fish)

HeavyHittah

LivingReefs is like home
so these are the fish i want for a 75 gallon. ( which allows room for 1 inch of fish for every 10 galls, if im correct)

1.Green Mandarin
2.Kauderns Cardinal
3.Yellowstripe maroon clown
4.Coral Beauty
5. Flame angel
6. blueface or imperial angel
7.royal gramma...maybe

all these fish should get along with each other right, and with corals???:question:

1. Mandarin, i would pass on that. They need a very well established aquarium with plenty of coepods and live food that is only present in mature tanks, it's very hard to get them to eat frozen food and the other food you feed the other fish.

2. If you want to keep a Coral Beauty and a Flame Angelfish, you need to introduce them both at the same time, and not even if you do that, they might go after each other until one dies, it all depends on what fish you get and how they act. I wouldn't add any more angels in a 75G tank, and the Imperial Angel will get too big for your tank. As with all Angels, they can nip at corals, it's a hit or miss, you never know.

3. Royal Gramma is a fish that even though it's small in size, it can be the biggest bully.

Besides that, the rest of the fish would fit your tank without any problems. You might want to look at a Blenny or a Goby, they are fish that will get along with everyone, and most of the time are either in the bottom of the tank or around the rocks.

You'll have to choose if you want a pygmy angel (like flame or coral beauty) or a large angel. None of the large angels will be safe around corals, and the pygmy angels also have a tendency to eat corals. I would also advise picking one angel, as it's highly unlikely that two would get along (someone on here recently added a flame and coral beauty at the same time, and they are getting along, but that's an extremely rare circumstance).

If you do want a mandarin, don't add it until your tank has been established for a really long time (8 months plus) and only if you have a refugium to provide it with a constant source of food. If you buy a mandarin that you witness eating frozen food, your chances of it surviving are greatly improved. Most mandarins starve to death in our tanks and should only be purchased if they're eating frozen or if you have a large enough refugium to support them.

thnx guys for the feedback, just want to get it right the first time around
ill go back to looking for other options and let you guys know about the changes.
any other cool fish you guys like, thats friendly with great color??

One group of fish that is awesome that nobody mentioned yet are the Wrasses. There are some amazing wrasses that will fit your tank, they are active, great colors and you have a great variety of sizes that you can choose from. The Fairy Wrasses have some amazing colors, will deffinately add a lot of color and movement to your tank. You might also want to look into a Christmas Wrasse, Lubbocks Wrasse, Exquisite Wrasse...just to mention a few.
You could also keep a Tang, such as the Kole Tang. The don't get too big and provide a lot of movement.

BTW, i'm the one with the Coral Beauty and the Flame Angel and they are getting along, but as Biff mentioned, it's a rare case.

the new list....
1.yellowstripe maroon clown
2.kauderns cardinal
3.coral beauty
4.Filamented flasher wrasse
5.helfrichi firefish
6.midas blenny or royal gramma
7.???<----something bright blue or bright purple, i dont know

what you guys think??
leopard wrasse...let me check

royal grammas are not the aggressive ones, they are often mistaken for the royal dottybacks, which are just bastards. A poor soul on this forum mistaken bought a royal dottyback, being told by the LFS that it was a royal gramma. Once in the tank, it started kicking ass. Nasty buggers. Make sure it is a royal gramma, they are passive, beautiful fish. I have one.

Your tank is not nearly big enough for large angelfish (pomacanthus or holacanthus families). Wantanabe's angelfish or Lamark's angelfish would fit in a 75 and both are reef safe angelfish, though not as striking as a Blue-face or Emperor. The two pygmy angels that commonly tend to fit together in a tank your size is a coral beauty and flame angel. Both need to be added at the same time and in a tank minimum of 75 gallons. They are from different parts of the Pacific and will tolerate each other due to their marked difference in colors and body shape. Angels get a bad wrap IMO. I have 4 in a 125 - all getting along nicely. I will move up to 6 when I get my shark tank up and running. I even have them with corals.

FLasher wrasses are a great addition. BTW, make sure you calculate the adult size when stocking your tank as opposed to when you buy them or you will run into bioload problems pretty fast.

-Doc

the new list....
1.yellowstripe maroon clown
2.kauderns cardinal
3.coral beauty
4.Filamented flasher wrasse
5.helfrichi firefish
6.midas blenny or royal gramma
7.???<----something bright blue or bright purple, i dont know

what you guys think??
leopard wrasse...let me check

This is a much better list.Fridmani Pseudochromis are very bright purple but I'm not sure how it will get along with the Gramma since both have similiar body syles.

what about something blue, anybody know anything?? im trying to stay away from blue damsels seeing as they are known as devil fish.

what about something blue, anybody know anything?? im trying to stay away from blue damsels seeing as they are known as devil fish.

Yellow-bellied blue damsels and yellow-tail blue damsels are surprisingly docile as compared to their solid blue counterparts. I would recommend them for a reef tank. your fish list isn't super-passive and will match fine with the afore mentioned damsels

-Doc

yellow tails and yellow bellies are the exception to the super aggressiveness of damsels. they can be a bit fiesty, but nothing like the yellow devils and blue devils. Up to you. I have had a lot of success with them being more passive. choices are limited for your tank in blue. depends on how badly you want blue. Tangs and angelfish are the major blue fish you can find, but your system will not support one. Some of the fairy wrasses have blue in them, but are not completely blue.

-Doc

Back