Stocking ideas for a new 75g, mostly FOWLR

ocean_lightning

Reefing newb
I've kept fish only tanks before and enjoyed it. Ive been out of the hobby for a couple years now but ive been wanting to get back into it lately. I'm planning on setting on a 75 gallon tank soon. Thinking of 120-130 lbs. live rock and about a 2'' live sand bed, with a good sump, skimmer, etc. I may end up adding a few hardy corals and keeping a few inverts but I was mostly planning on just fish. Some of the fish i want wouldn't go well with a reef or setup or too many inverts. I have been thinking about stocking lately and this is what I think would be nice in this tank:

1 Kole Tang
1 Spotband Butterflyfish
1 Coral Beauty Angelfish
1 Valentini Puffer
1 Tomato Clownfish
1 Six-line Wrasse
3 Green Chromis
1 Yellow Watchman Goby

I'm a little unsure about this mix. For the most part I think compatibility would be fine, maybe a few minor issues but nothing major. My first question is do you think they would all do ok together, and in what order should I add them to minimize aggression?

I wanted a Tang and Butterfly, so I did a bit of research on species that would be ok in this size tank. These are smaller species which most people have told me would be fine. What are your thoughts?

I'm a bit worried it might be a bit overstocked. With that much live rock and good filtration, I don't wanna keep it looking barren when I don't need, but this is 10 fish. I need some advice. Maybe I should take one out? Maybe lose the sixline? I'm pretty set on the Tang, Butterfly, Angel, and Puffer.

Lastly, if I decide to add a few inverts or corals, which do you think would stand the best chance with these fish? Are there any at all that might be ok?

Thank you for reading and I appreciate all feedback!

Last edited:
That is way too many fish for a 75G...I would only do 1 medium sized fish and maybe 4-5 small

I have a foxface, goby, 2 clowns and 2 chromis in my 75 and there is no way I could put another big fish in there

I think that is waay too many fish. Just some info in case you didn't know: spotband is not reef safe, puffer and angelfish are reef safe with caution. I think out of the first 4 you listed you can choose maybe 2 as your "big fish". I think everything under that is fine, except a lot of people have trouble keeping chromises (spelling?) together without them killing each other off. The order you add them would be the smallest/most peaceful. I would start off with the goby as the first fish. After that just add fish 1 or 2 at a time (always take things slow in this hobby). I think any of the fish listed above other than the goby can fend for itself pretty well, so I don't think the order would matter too much after that (the more experienced can chime in). Make sure you cycle properly before putting any fish in also. Hope this helps. By the way, welcome to the site!

Between the puffer and the butterfly, long term chances for any inverts are slim. I tried a puffer for my wife and in a matter of days it went through over a hundred zoanthids, a bunch of hermits, and almost a clam. If you want any chance of corals or inverts, steer clear of the butterfly and the puffer

Back