stocking ideas

andersoned14

Reefing newb
I have a 90gal tank and wondering what else.
Right now I have.
1 B&W clown,
2 two fire fish
3 kole tang
and would like to add
4 yellow tang
5 flame angle
does this sound good can/should I add more what else is reef safe?---have a six-line wrasse in other tank so not another one of those.
and I know some will say the tangs are not good for a 90gal but others say they are fine. Thanks for the help

The tangs should be fine, especially if they're small. I know you have the sixline but, you should look at some of the fairy wrasse's they have very bright, beautiful coloring. Also, check out foxface or rabbitfish, they will definitely be on my list when I upgrade

The foxface and rabbitfish are both non-reef fish. I would like to keep this tank reef safe incase I start adding corals later. I guess I should have added that. I have plans for a future FOWLR bigger tank so I can add fish like that.

they're both add with caution, plenty of people have them in their reef tanks with no issues. But, if you don't want any with caution fish in your tank then you'll need to reconsider the flame angel because it's with caution as well, and I think more likely to go for your corals then the foxface.

They are pretty much reef safe. Very few people have had problems with foxfaces or other rabbitfish. They are algae eaters, like tangs.

This here is my favorite fish ever, the leopard wrasse. You should get one! They are wonderful.

divided-leopard-wrasse-1.jpg

The foxface and rabbitfish are both non-reef fish. I would like to keep this tank reef safe incase I start adding corals later. I guess I should have added that. I have plans for a future FOWLR bigger tank so I can add fish like that.

I've got a foxface, I have no problems with him with my corals, just make sure he's fed well. They're natural grazers so supply him with algae sheets every other day and you won't have an issue. I feed mine mysis every day, let him graze throughout the tank, and every odd day give him some algae sheet so he's getting enough of the nutrients he needs.

My foxface is my favorite fish, very good temperament, fun to watch swim, they're a little shy at first (a week or so) but then they're always out in front of the tank. And because they're dorsals are venomous, more aggressive fish won't mess with them.

Any idea why LA lists them as expert only?
from what I've read, they can be difficult to get started eating when you put them in your aquarium. But, once eating they're no more difficult then any other wrasse.

+1 BL1. They are like mandarins, in that some will only eat live food. But once they start eating, they are easy to keep and beautiful fish. For some of them, it can take a few tries to find out what food they like.

I have yet to see a rabbitfish go after a coral.Not sayin they wont,but I've not seen one do it. They do have a huge appetite for different types of algae though and will help control it in the display.

I have yet to see a rabbitfish go after a coral.Not sayin they wont,but I've not seen one do it. They do have a huge appetite for different types of algae though and will help control it in the display.

I'm sure if you starve one it will eventually pick at your corals but I haven't even heard on any other forums about Foxfaces going after corals.

Did you say you wanted 5 flame angels?! you cant really have that many in the same tank, they fight, very territorial.

you can keep 1 type of angel in any tank really, i dont think 90g is even big enough to keep multiple angels

Back