stocking issues

Melonbob

Reef enthusiast
I'm still having issues with the whole concept of stocking my tank. I added two clowns right after cycling, about a month ago. Then a mess of snails/inverts. Some Anthilias, a GSP frag, a ricordia frag. Another fish a week ago, Royal Gramma. Two blood shrimp, and a blue shroom. Everything is doing well, algae even looks like it's getting beaten down. So 3 fish in a 46g, how many more. I want to add one more fish, I don't know what yet, and a coral beauty to finish things off. But now I'm thinking of chromis, I think a schooling fish would be really neat. Thing is, can I handle a school and still get my coral in the future? If I get a small school, can I add them all at once? Where should I go from here to endpoint

You could get three chromis. Those would be fine for your tank. Your water quality should be your guide when it comes to stocking. Make sure your nitrates stay low after every addition. As long as your nitrates stay under control, your corals shouldn't be affected.

Ok, so I added the gramma a week ago, and my nitrates were 2 yesterday. When can I add the 3 chromis? Also, if I add 3 chromis, plus the two clowns and the gramma, can I still add a coral beauty and one more? Would I be pushing the limits there?

Thing is, some peeps go by the inch/gal rule, and others throw it out the window. My stats are consistantly bang on, to the point its making me nervous. Other than the algae, this has been a cake walk so far, and I'm starting to get the feeling something is just waiting to kick me in the ass.....lol

Every tank is different.. Some can have very little fish and keep the paramaters in check, others can have a ton of fish and never have a single issue with nitrates or crazy water parameters. Like biff said, let your water tell you when to stop adding...

Ok, so I added the gramma a week ago, and my nitrates were 2 yesterday. When can I add the 3 chromis? Also, if I add 3 chromis, plus the two clowns and the gramma, can I still add a coral beauty and one more? Would I be pushing the limits there?

7 fish total is kinda pushing it.I seen people who had more and there tank is pristine.Only you know if your system can handle it.

I've read on other forums that Chromis usually finish each other in small schools.Start with 3 and you may end up with two.Start with 5 and you may end up with two.You get the idea right?Although this happens probably more often in smaller systems than larger.Maybe look at a pair of something to take their place instead.

a school may be a bit too much for your tank. Here is the deal as I see it. water quality is only one important issue. Room to live is another. You can improve your water quality and keep a higher bioload with larger water changes. it obviously removes more nitrates, phosphates, etc the more water you remove. I would not change more than 60% in a months time though. adding more live rock will also increase the bioload you can have. I know I have to add more LR to my 125 as I am starting to get cyano. I drop in another 40 lbs, and it will go away.

The more mature your tank is, the more your bioload will support.

The other thing is hiding places. all of your fish have to have their "own place" to hide in the tank. the more fish you have, the more places to hide they need. some fish tolerate other fish closer than others do. Stress will kill your fish and eventually your tank. each tank will be different depending on the inhabitants. so there you go. Now, do what you want.

-Doc

Back