Stocking List Help

john0087

Reefing newb
Hey all,

I just wanted to get some feedback on my stocking list plan.

Right now, the tank is still cycling, so this really is a future plan.

Tank 60gal 48x15x18 with 15gal sump
90lbs of live rock with 10lbs live rock rubble in the sump

I would like

3-5 Green Chromis
1 Coral Beauty (required by wife)
1 Percula Clown (required by wife)
1 or 2 Spotted Cardinal.

This would be over the coase of 2 years as the tank is very immature, even when the cycle is done, hopefully in Mid Feb.

I know I could do 3 chromis with the rest of the list as that is what I had before I moved and tore the tank down. Do you think 5 chromis would be too much. I know I would be at super max, but is it really out of line with what the tank can support.

Option
Eliminate the Cardinals and Coral beauty for 1 yellow tang. I am not a fan of the yellow tang but my wife absolutley loves them. I know a 60g 48" tank is bare min for this fish, which is why I kinda dont want one, but I thought I would ask just in case.

Thanks!

John

Hi John!
I think that is a great stocking plan. I don't see any problem with 5 chromis eventually, provided all your levels are good. Others will chime in. Personally, I wouldn't do a tang in our size tank. After watching them swim I don't feel like they could be happy long term in a 4 foot long tank. A lot of people say if you got a small one it would be happy for a while but I don't know if there is much point in that if you're not going to upgrade.

Hi John!
I think that is a great stocking plan. I don't see any problem with 5 chromis eventually, provided all your levels are good. Others will chime in. Personally, I wouldn't do a tang in our size tank. After watching them swim I don't feel like they could be happy long term in a 4 foot long tank. A lot of people say if you got a small one it would be happy for a while but I don't know if there is much point in that if you're not going to upgrade.

Yeah, I know about the tang. I keep telling the wife that and she looks so sad. She even pulled the "your daughter would love to see a bright yellow fish, it matches her swing"

Our old coral beauty used the complete lengh of the tank and that's a 4" fish. I told her to imagine a fish twice that large. Plus, they just look big and I am all about the scale look of the tank.

BTW, nice flame angel you got there. That was my wifes 3rd choise after the tang and coral beauty.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Ooo, a guilt trip, I already like your wife, she knows how to get what she wants! I hate to keep suggesting the same stuff but....check out the midas blenny, bright yellow, active, 5 inches long, might be a nice compromise? And then you don't have to worry about stress and algae sheets and yadda yadda.
The flame is so amazing isn't it? Makes such a difference in the tank!
Do you have a reef tank John?

It is going to be a reef tank when all said and done.

Lemon peel very nice, but maybe too aggressive for me. I'd like to try to keep a clam. I've had 2 coral beauties and the have never posed a threat to my corals, and they move so elegantly through the rock work, one of my favorite things to watch.

I personally really like the yellow watchmen goby. They look cool perched on a coral just hanging out, looking around.

Back