Stocking List

W Glint

Reefing newb
Hay everybody!

Here's the low down:

Im in the process of getting all my tank equipment and such set up for my new 55 gallon tank. Im going to be adding it to my 40 gallon system that i already have established, consisting of a 20 gallon display and 20 gallon sump. Im going to keep the 20 gallon display, and scrap the sump and probably upgrade to a larger 40 gallon tank for use as my sump, as to house my new algae scrubber im constructing. Im going to run my Aqua C remora skimmer, custom filter sock for mechanical, and the algae scrubber i mentioned. I was planning on using about 50 lbs or so of live rock and shallow sand bed. Im having some problems constructing my stocking list, because Im making it around my Snowflake eel that i already have. Hes only about 9-10 inchs long and doing good in his 20 gallon tank ( sump ) but i know he needs an upgrade, so thats why im upping to a 55. What are some good tank-mate's i could put in with him. I was thinking either a smaller yellow or hippo tang, ( away with you Tang-Police ) with the intent to upgrade to a larger tank as needed, as im assuming the eel will need too depending on how big he grows. I was also dabbling around a dragon wrasse - does anyone have an experience with them? I was also pretty set on a Flame Angel aswell. Also maybe a bit larger long-nose hawkfish. A few Cromis? Also, any opinions on snowflake eels and cleaner shrimp? i have one in my 20 but if its safe, ide like to move him to the 55 also. I also plan to move my attitudinal blue damsel out of my 20 to the 55 too because he harasses my poor clown to no end :death: . Im not to worried about the bio load / water parameters, because i do keep d*mn good water quality, and FWC's. Im mostly concerned about tank space, and compatibility.

If you could just put your .02 in that would be fantastic! :bounce:

yeah, most people wouldnt reccomend a tang in a 4ft tank, you mentioned harassing the clowns, if you get a pair of maroons they would be bothered by nothing...

I wasnt really planning on getting another ( 2 ) clowns, as i already have one and im a bit attached, thats why hes getting his own tank. and i also plan to use the 20 as a small reef tank within my system. and if i get a tang, i would get it small / young, and once it gets close to too big for the tank, i would upgrade.

Absolutely no blue tang in there, its only cruel. You could do a yellow, but i would plan on upgrading to a 90 in at least a year.

A flame would do great in there, just make sure you put the eel in last. They well known for eating fish that you add after them. In a 55 an eel, flame, two clowns, and damsel would put you at the limit of stocking.

Thanks for the advice.

Im not all that concerned that the eel will attack fish, because i have already trained him to stick feed on a pretty strict feeding schedule, and he has a few small crabs and hermits in with him now and hasn't even given them a second look.

Im not sure where the two clowns are from. i have one now, and im not planning on getting another, and also that clown is in a separate tank. I think what im leaning towards is a small yellow tang, my baby eel, the flame, the blue damsel im moving from my other tank, and maybe the dragon wrasse. And if not the Wrasse, im thinking a Longnose hawkfish. Maybe a serpent star too, who knows.

The dragon wrasses arent good fish for our tanks, it will very quickly outgrow your tank and they adults arent nearly as cool as the juvies. Also they will rearrange the tank as they see fit and can be very detrimental to the tank.

And even the ones trained to eat from a stick will still go after fish, ive seen it dozens of times on here.

The dragon wrasses arent good fish for our tanks, it will very quickly outgrow your tank and they adults arent nearly as cool as the juvies. Also they will rearrange the tank as they see fit and can be very detrimental to the tank.

And even the ones trained to eat from a stick will still go after fish, ive seen it dozens of times on here.

Mine was stick trained as well. Didn't stop him from eating somewhere close to $300 in fish. All added after him.

I am just confused on why you would take the time to upgrade to a 55g now, knowing that within a year you are going to upgrade to a 90g. Why wouldn't you just take your time, do it once, do it right and upgrade to the 90g now?

maybe I missed something

Hay everybody!

Here's the low down:

I was thinking either a smaller yellow or hippo tang, ( away with you Tang-Police ) with the intent to upgrade to a larger tank as needed, as im assuming the eel will need too depending on how big he grows.

If you could just put your .02 in that would be fantastic! :bounce:

Please don't do this. Our hobby has gotten a lot of negative attention lately from those claiming the ornamental fish trade / hobby needs to be shut down for various reasons. One of those reasons is because of many examples of fish improperly being kept in tanks too small. A 4 ft tank is simply not large enough for a full grown Yellow or Hippo tang. I have a medium sized Hippo in my 6 ft tank, and I have started the system design phase of an 8-10 ft system to properly house this fish because a 6 ft tank just isn't large enough for it long term.

As far as the eel goes - you're going to have to move / add all the other fish to the system first and then transfer the eel last if you want to reduce the chance that he'll go after fish.

I also agree with Hannah, Dragon Wrasses really aren't for our tanks, they outgrow them very quickly, and can become quite destructive

Back