Stocking options

wontonflip

I failed Kobayashi Maru
Ok...I'm posting a list of fish I'm interested in (but don't worry!! I'm not putting them ALL in the tank :D -- just listing ones I'm interested in).

I have a 45 high gallon tank (meaning, less surface area), no corals, just lrs, refugium sump, and skimmer. Here's what I'm interested in:

-2 clownfish (mandatory since the whole Nemo thing with the kids)
- Coral beauty (but I heard they can get aggressive)
- 2 spot goby
-6 line wrasse
-blennies (any)

How many can I get away with? I looked all these fish up and they can do well in a 30 or more gallon per liveaquaria.com's fish guide. So if I have the mandatory 2 clownfish, I've got some crabs and snails (gonna get more), can I add anything else?? I don't want to overcrowd, but I'd like another fish or two...at least! Anyone have any other fish suggestions?

all liveaquarias recommendations are for long tanks, not high since fish swim horizontally and not vertically. i think you could get away with the 2 clowns and a blenny or a goby, i would do both in the same tank of that size

Yeah, I figured that, so I was just preparing myself to just have 3 or 4 small fish...incentive to upgrade next year to maybe a 75g :)

But at least if I can get the 2 clowns in, my kids will be happy. I'll just stock up on more crabs and snails or something. I don't have nearly as much as I should anyway!

The coral beauty may like more area to swim. I know my flame angel swims all over and between every rock. I doubt it will be too aggressive. The clowns, blenny and sixline are all good choices.

I agree with doing away with the coral beauty. I would say the two clowns,goby and blennie. The six line wrasse can be a pain if you get a bad one like mine.

Agreed on the 6-line. I have one, but he's a prisoner in a 10g tank because he was too aggressive in the 30g tank. Save the 6-line for when you get a 75g tank with larger fish. They will keep the 6-lines aggressive attitude in check.

I'd get the 2 clowns and I'd get a sand sifting goby if you plan to have a sand bottom in the tank. If you go bare bottom, skip the sand sifter. Next choice would be a lawnmower blenny because they eat algae off rocks. You can get red striped gobys if you want a school of fish. They are only about 1" long when full grown. They also school if you get 3 or more. I've considered getting 5 or 6 for my tank.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+31+1728&pcatid=1728

As you are discovering, you have to be very selective about which fish you choose for a smaller tank.

How about a royal gramma basslet? I don't have strong lighting, and I read they prefer low lit tanks anyway, and I've got plenty of caves and hideyholes in my tank.

I do have live sand for my tank, so I think I will go with some type of sand sifter goby.

This is why everyone gets larger tanks LOL Cuz there's just so many you want to pick from!! (next year...next year...)

Back