Stocking Options?

bangbangkhan

Reefing newb
I have a 90 gallon tank with 30 gallon sump. I wanted to know what are my options of adding more fish in about after a months time? I currently have 1 Wrasse, 2 black percula, 2 percula true, 1 yellow tail damsel.

which other large fishes can I add? they should be reef safe....i was thinking of adding any 2 kind of tangs or 1 angel fish and a tang....and maybe 1 dragonnet down the road once the tanks is more established....

How are the two sets of clowns doing for you? That can be pretty tricky even in much larger tanks. As far as larger fish options in the tang category----kole, tomini, mimic, two spot to name some--- Foxface is another bigger fish option ( they are cool fish). The dwarf angels are risky with corals but IME, the coral beauty or the Eibli never gave me a minutes trouble ( each fish is always different) but the lemonpeel gave me fits. Hope this gives you some ideas.

How are the two sets of clowns doing for you? That can be pretty tricky even in much larger tanks. As far as larger fish options in the tang category----kole, tomini, mimic, two spot to name some--- Foxface is another bigger fish option ( they are cool fish). The dwarf angels are risky with corals but IME, the coral beauty or the Eibli never gave me a minutes trouble ( each fish is always different) but the lemonpeel gave me fits. Hope this gives you some ideas.

The black clown were added yesterday...and today I saw them sleeping with the other clowns in their spot...they are almost the same size and I m hoping they won't be intimadating each other too much...let's see how that goes after a weeks time

The tang I really like is the Achilles...

But I was told by LFS to add the tang and angelfish last

an Achilles needs MINIMUM of 6 feet of unobstructed dash space and 8' is really indicated....I really, really wanted one in my 120 but again, too short....

Look into a Yellow Tang, or a Kole. How long is your tank btw? If it's not 6ft long, I'd steer clear of most tangs. Stress is a major killer in this hobby. If you're looking for color and swimming out in the open, try firefish (they hide a lot in the beginning, but once they get comfortable in the tank they come out a lot). Or, a small school of Chromis. Good luck :)

Naso tang is a cool fish and they will just hang out and get fat and happy in a 90G.... They are really great fish....Lots of personality....I will probably get one for the 120....

Look into a Yellow Tang, or a Kole. How long is your tank btw? If it's not 6ft long, I'd steer clear of most tangs. Stress is a major killer in this hobby. If you're looking for color and swimming out in the open, try firefish (they hide a lot in the beginning, but once they get comfortable in the tank they come out a lot). Or, a small school of Chromis. Good luck :)

The tank is 4 feet long..how many chromis would u think my tank could handle?

Good rule for SW tanks is 1 fish per 10g. Chromis tend to stay small. So, if you have 5 fish already, I'd say you could probably do 5-7 Chromis. BUT if you do, you're going to have to be pretty religious with water changes. Also, is your tank established? Or newly cycled?

I have a protein skimmer and ATO...if I only have to do 10% change every other week..then I would be haPpy..the clown tend to stay by the power heads and I don't see any activit in the tank...that's the reason for 1 large fish.

The tank is almost 2 months old...I upgraded to a larger tank 3 weeks ago..so the 30 gallons contents were moved to it.

Naso tang is a cool fish and they will just hang out and get fat and happy in a 90G.... They are really great fish....Lots of personality....I will probably get one for the 120....

The Naso gets larger than an Achilles, and is a very poor stocking choice for even a 6 foot tank. I lost mine recently, and I think it was because he was cramped in my 180

It would be so much better to get one that will fit in your tank as an adult so you don't have to worry about catching it, trading it, becoming attached to it, stressing it or worse. Just my:twocents:

I'd just steer clear of Tangs period. Although, A yellow Tang might be all right. If you're looking for a nice active fish that's really colorful, what about a Flame Angel or a Coral Beauty? They are gorgeous, and fairly active :). Matter of fact, you may even be able to do both (not sure on the compatibility so someone else chime in please!).

Dwarf Angelfish: Flame Angelfish and other Dwarf Angels <--- All different types of Dwarf Angels that would be awesome in that sized tank. Activity + Beauty. Although, if you plan on doing corals, make sure you check to see if they are reef safe! Best of luck :)

I plan on adding corals later...I know coral beauty is a bit tricky with corals..but I have fair idea of what I need to add now...I guess tangs are of the list for now...

I'd just steer clear of Tangs period. Although, A yellow Tang might be all right. If you're looking for a nice active fish that's really colorful, what about a Flame Angel or a Coral Beauty? They are gorgeous, and fairly active :). Matter of fact, you may even be able to do both (not sure on the compatibility so someone else chime in please!).

Dwarf Angelfish: Flame Angelfish and other Dwarf Angels <--- All different types of Dwarf Angels that would be awesome in that sized tank. Activity + Beauty. Although, if you plan on doing corals, make sure you check to see if they are reef safe! Best of luck :)
There are some tangs that will work in a 90 but there are no "reef safe" dwarf angels as they all have the potential to nip corals. Not all do but you don't know until you get them in there.

Last edited:
4Ft is a little iffy for a tang. 6 is what's recommended. Although, I shouldn't talk. I have a Yellow Tang in my 55. Although long before he's fully grown I'm upgrading to either a 180 or a 200. So, Idk. I'll do some research for ya real quick to see what tangs would be fine in that sized tank

All this info is from LiveAquaria so feel free to back reference or cross check any of it!
Kole Tang - 70G recommended (Sweet looking tang though :))
Mimic Lemonpeel Tang - 70G recommended
Bristletooth Tomini Tang - 70G recommended
Mimic Eibli Tang - 70G recommended
Mimic Half Black Tang - 70G recommended
Orange Stripe Bristletooth Tang - 100g recommended (You should still be okay)
Squaretail Bristletooth Tang - 70G recommended
Two Spot Bristletooth Tang - 70G recommended
White Tail Bristletooth Tang - 70G recommended (Gota be one of my favorite fish :p)

Those are some of the ones you could do and they'd be happy still :)

Thanks for all the info...I will read more about them and make a better decision now...I didn't know all this were compatible for a 90 g

Back