Stomatella varia

rdang

Reefing newb
STOMATELLA VARIA I just noticed I have one of these and it must have been hiding in a rock for awhil because its pretty big! Really scary when you are not suspecting to see something like that in your tank lol :shock: :helm2:

OMG!!! i just went back to look and i noticed i have a hairy crab too. WTF! maybe this stuff is coming out cause my nitrates are 20?

You probably just hadn't noticed them until now.
As long as its been since I added new rock,I still find stuff I didn't know was there.

i find new stuff all the time, i recently found 2 small short spined urchins about size of small marble so they were freebies with live rock also.

Rdang,Living in St Pete,surely you've been crabbing before.:D
Just take a piece of raw table shrimp and tie it to a string.Drop the shrimp right in front of the crab,then when he grabs it,just slowly pull him up until you can get your net under him.
The get some crab boil and fix a nice supper with him:D

Just take a piece of raw table shrimp and tie it to a string.Drop the shrimp right in front of the crab,then when he grabs it,just slowly pull him up until you can get your net under him.

lol its sounds to easy, but i know it works lol

I do love me sum see-fude mmmmmm.....mmmmmm:mrgreen: i got some old bay seasoning just waiting for him! :death:

Yote, What about a pistol shrimp that you only see maybe once every 3 months. I have tried a bottle trap, and catching him. Do you think the shrimp thing would work? I think my fish would get it first.

I can't remove the rock its in the 850 under a peice that is big.

Well then Yote, any good Manits Shrimp Cocktail Recipes? [insert vomiting smiley face here]:shock:

Not enough meat in a mantis:mrgreen:

Yote, What about a pistol shrimp that you only see maybe once every 3 months. I have tried a bottle trap, and catching him. Do you think the shrimp thing would work? I think my fish would get it first.

I can't remove the rock its in the 850 under a peice that is big.

Winy,Most pistol shrimp are nocturnal.So I think it would be worth a shot to try after the lights have been off for an hour or so.

k Yote here it goes..............

the crab is in the hole. you can see his legs just to the right of the damsel head :death:

3818274439_a80f55f3e4_o.jpg

This damsel i have had in my freezer since he died from cycling.I put fishing line through its mouth and tied a knot.
3819084058_a33b4531ec.jpg

This crab is scared to hold on to it, might be here fishing all night lol
3819083584_b247ca93f9.jpg

I can make my hermit walk across my entire tank, over rocks and everything just by putting this stuff Aquarium Fish Foods: Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef Frozen Food in the tank...don't know what you normally use, but you might want to give this stuff a go

yeah, the only problem is does that stuff break up because i need to be able to trap him and he is really shy. maybe i can put it in a net or something......

too bad i cant make a mini crab trap lol

yeah, the only problem is does that stuff break up because i need to be able to trap him and he is really shy. maybe i can put it in a net or something......

too bad i cant make a mini crab trap lol

easy, low budget crab trap...get a large/clear Slurpee cup from 7/11 or anywhere else with something similar. Punch a few small holes in the bottom to let water drain through; next take a length of fishing line (get something a little thicker, say at least a 20lb test) that is 3x the depth of your tank, wrap one end of the line around the rim of the cup, knot it, and tape it with good clear packaging tape, or just knott it REALLY GOOD, put the thawed frozed food (maybe even dose it with Garlix or something) in the cup and slowly let the cup fill with water (from the top so the food stays at the bottom) and then just let it drop slowly to the bottom of the tank, near your lobster that you want to catch. Leave the other end of the string hanging outside of the tank, taping it to the rim of the tank for safe keeping. Then just sit and wait...if a fish goes it, shake the cup to scare them away, but if the lobster goes in, wait till it gets all the way to the back, that way when you lift the cup, there shouldn't be much room for it to turn around and swim out. But, once it does reach the back of the cup, you should be able to just yank it out of the water, or at least get the rim of the cup a little above the surface then let the water slowly drain out the bottom (because you put those holes at the bottom of the cup) as you slowly pull the cup out of the tank.

I'm not guaranteeing it will work, but it should :11:

easy, low budget crab trap...get a large/clear Slurpee cup from 7/11 or anywhere else with something similar. Punch a few small holes in the bottom to let water drain through; next take a length of fishing line (get something a little thicker, say at least a 20lb test) that is 3x the depth of your tank, wrap one end of the line around the rim of the cup, knot it, and tape it with good clear packaging tape, or just knott it REALLY GOOD, put the thawed frozed food (maybe even dose it with Garlix or something) in the cup and slowly let the cup fill with water (from the top so the food stays at the bottom) and then just let it drop slowly to the bottom of the tank, near your lobster that you want to catch. Leave the other end of the string hanging outside of the tank, taping it to the rim of the tank for safe keeping. Then just sit and wait...if a fish goes it, shake the cup to scare them away, but if the lobster goes in, wait till it gets all the way to the back, that way when you lift the cup, there shouldn't be much room for it to turn around and swim out. But, once it does reach the back of the cup, you should be able to just yank it out of the water, or at least get the rim of the cup a little above the surface then let the water slowly drain out the bottom (because you put those holes at the bottom of the cup) as you slowly pull the cup out of the tank.

I'm not guaranteeing it will work, but it should :11:

that sounds good in theory but im having trouble getting my crab to leave his live rock. maybe ill try some of that prime reef stuff

if that crab wasnt in my best piece of rock i would boil him! i think he is killing my hermits!

Last edited:
Well here's something else you could try too: i know lobsters hate light, so maybe this guy won't be to fond of it either...Wait till the lights go out at night, turn off your actinics if you have them and turn off the lights in the room; using a submersible/bright light like this Mini Q40 eLED Plus shine a light directly in his cave; one of two things will happen, he's either gonna come out of there, blind scared, and pinching, or he's gonna ball up and hide as far back in that hole as he can. If he comes out, have a net ready; if he hides, hopefully you can reach him with a pair of these things Aquarium Plant and Aquascaping Tweezers at precisiontweezer and just pull the sucker on out of there.

From the pic,that looks like a Decorator crab.

And heres another method I've used with success.
Tie your line to the handle of your net.Then put some food in the net and place it close to his hole.Then when he goes in after the food,yank his butt outta there.

Back