Stopping Aggression

Shep

Reefing newb
Ok,

So I have had my new lights on my tank for about 4 days now and I have started to notice that my pair of Clowns and my chromis have begun to relentlessly bully the smaller Chromis. What can I do to stop this? I really like the small guy and has stopped eating because of the bullying.

Thanks
Tom

Hi, can you tell us more about your set up - tank size? amount of live rock? other livestock? total number of chromis?

Unfortunately chromis are unique fish - both shoaling and highlander fish, meaning in smaller numbers they tend to beat up on the weakest until there is only one left. Best advice I have without knowing too much about your set up is to keep them fed well (1-2x per day); feeding often can keep aggression under control, though I don't know how well it works once they've got murder in their eyes. Do you have a quarantine set up where you could isolate the one that's being picked on?

The set up is a 26g bow front with 2 clowns and 2 Chromis. The fish had been fine up until I got my new flight. There is about ~35 pounds of live rock, there are a few hermits and snails.

Yeah I'd definitely take the chromis out I recommend 5 of those guys minimum (or any schooling fish in general, except for large fish). Gobies are nice if you want to fill the chromis' spot.

Back