Storing water

clancaster23

Reefing newb
I usually just make up water as I go but my two five gallon jugs broke on me so I got me a can and I'm going to start storing a small amount of water to be ready for water changes. I have a pump in there to keep the water moving around and to mix up the salt with. Is a heater a good addition to add? Also, I have a couple pieces of rock laying around and though I'd put them to use and add them to the bin thinking it'd be good for the water. Is this a good idea or should I not bother?

The heater is a good idea if you will be using a large amount of the water at once. If you are using it to top off evaporation, you will be adding such a small amount at a time that the temperature won't make a difference. For water changes, I'd say add the heater.

I don't think the rock will add anything except a place for algae to grow and detritus to collect.

It my understanding that while the water is waiting for salt and while the salt is raining down on the live rock.. the bacteria on the rock would be killed. So it is a serious bad and not a good.

Back