Straight up N00b

armymil

Reefing newb
About myself: I am interested in owning a saltwater aquarium but right now the finances don't allow it. So in the mean time, for probably a few months to even a year, I am researching my dream aquarium and working at saving up. I have owned a freshwater aquarium a few years back but I was still a bit immature to understand what I was doing. I always had buildup and eventually sold my 10 gal aquarium. (That was the first mistake-the 10 gallons.) Anyhow, I just have a few questions and I appriciate the answers. Just so I dont sound entirely stupid, I have a book called The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner that I am reading hopeing to learn something so I dont ask 101 questions in the meantime.
-------------------------------------------
Questions:

Instead of asking people their opinions on certain products, or being scammed by pet shop places to buy the most expensive, I am trying to understand a bit of all the pieces that I need for a saltwater aquarium. So for example, the heater, skimmer, aquarium, stand, chiller, etc. What is a good brand to go by, or what is the specs I need to decipher in order to have a reliable product. Im trying to find a website that houses all this information so I dont ask everyone to write out their dream items. Because what is good now, may be bad in the next few months. So im just trying to figure out some brands to stay away from and understand what to read on the labels to make sure it is a good product, not because the kid at the store says it is. :)

I was thinking of tenecor aquariums because everything is built into the aquarium in the bottom which reduces those ugly cords dangling everywhere that I am use to. However, they are pretty expensive too. I use to own a 10 gal rectangle aquarium and now I would like a different one. Is there other websites that I may not have found on yahoo search that may have cheeper ones but maybe is a popular place to buy them? Anyone think tenecor aquariums are good? Anyone own one?

My final question is what does the "average person" spend on the initial costs of setting up an aquarium-minus the fish. I am interested in a 55 gal aquarium or the next size up. Thats around the market I am looking at. So as long as i know how much the average products costs I know how much in the market i am looking at when I need to get to a ballpark figure. When I say average, I mean the person who doesnt go all out expensive but doesnt go all out cheep. The median price of it all.

Thanks. I know all you guys reading this have lives that could be better spent then reading my post, but I do appriciate the replies and those that actually reply to it all. Trying to determine how to figure what is a good product and which isnt is all I am trying to do. Most people never try to do their homework and rush out to get something they regret. I hope I wont be that kind of victim.

Sincerely,

James

WELCOME TO THE FORUM Armymil. The questions you have asked are questions that all of us have asked or wondered at one time or another. I would recommend you do the following.

1. Read, you have a book and that is good.
2. identify what you want to keep, fish, corals, clams, crabs, etc.
3. Read on the animals you wish to keep for compatability and aquarium needs to keep the speicific animal. since you have some time you may need to aquire several books.
4. Buy the equipment that will provide you with the system that is needed to keep the animals you want in a healthy state.

On the equipement, you will find many opinions on product. some may have preferences, however, what you need to research is if you buy a certain product, from your local fish store, or, other and something goes wrong, will they exchange it or do you have to deal with the manufacturer. support is of upmost importance. I personally like oceanic aquariums but i believe they have been bought out by all glass. All glass is a middle of the road aquaium and can be ordered with built in overflows to your specifications.

Check out some of the foum threads and you will find lots of information from questions and answers already posted.

Part of the fun of marine aquarium is the procuring of the equipment and setting up the system. As for any equipment if the seller tells you once you buy it its yours and is unwilling to exchange it if defective, beware, if good support is available then the brand should not make much difference, however, you should probably shop several brands and compare the specifications/manufacturers hyperbol and support before purchasing and as you narrow it down post a thread here for opinions. Im sure we can help with that. a 55 gal is a good size to start, but, I personally like the 90 gal as the glass is thicker and a bit more room to do stuff in. I hope something here helps. Keep us posted on your progress or questions. good luck with your project. if you have time drop by chat on mon, tues, or wens. 9pm eastern time or currently 8 pm pacific time.

Hiya James and welcome!

You are doing the best thing possible: reading and asking opinions.

Definately save up to get exactly what you want to begin with. I started with a used 30 gallon to get my feet wet, and now have 4 tanks going, because I wasn't satisfied and kept "improving."

I go the route of buying tanks when others "give up". I got an entire 135 gallon setup for under $400. But that's just me--I'm thrifty. I'm working on getting good equipment for this tank a little at a time. There's low end, middle of the road, and high end equipment. You just have to decide where you fit and get as many opinions as you can from many different sources.

We're here to help, but you have the final say in what you want in your tank.

Good luck and congrats on your new hobby.

Angela

Check out marinedepot.com for equipment.They carry good stuff
at decient prices :D They have reveiws on all their goods.They also
have great customer service.If you order is over $175 shipping is free :mrgreen: Good Luck..

James, Welcome the forum There is not much I add to the above advise on reading up.Pricing will depend on brand and types of equipment you what.Since your saving before you buy.I think for lighting you will defentantly what a metal halide setup.You be able to keep what ever coral you like.The shy on asking questions

Wow..

Some news off to the side. Im moving from Hawaii to Oklahoma this month, but I was able to go snorkling for my first time yesterday. That was amazing. I seen sword fish, a huge turtle, misc fish, and coral. It made much sense why aquariums often fail because of over crowding. If you ever try to find brain coral and then another one, they are seperated (at least in this location) by feet, not inches. But we as aquarist, try to put them in a smaller confined area. Not trying to say it isnt possible. But just being able to see it in the wild was much more entertaining than in the books. Anyone else have this experience?

So much great advice. Starting with Jhnrb, here is what I figured out.

1. Reading is good. I am interested in going to aquariums and watching the fish. One of these days, I would like to own an octopus, but of course I figured I should be at least ready for having it. So, I figured I should start out small with a fish-only aquarium with no invert's so I can cut back on much of the cost. Plus with a fish only, I can keep the aquarium running for months to mature the water for the octopus. It is recommended that the water be at least 3 months old.

2. So as for the type of fish, I havent figured that out yet. I gotta figure out what the compatablity between the fishes are, but I do know that having schools would be interesting to watch.

3. Yup, the homework will be done. Right on...

4. Reguarding the equipment, thats all im trying to work with. With my freshwater setup a few years ago, I went through MANY MANY MANY water filters. They never seemed to do the work. I couldnt understand why. At least with knowing what works and what lasts, I could at least save on the hassle.

I will check into the oceanic aquariums to see what they got. Just checked it out. Very nice. I will keep them in mind. I hear they are very heavy, but a lot of the packages I have seen come with the stand and hood. Thats a sweet deal. And the 90 gal is a great size. I did look at them, and they are very big. I might get that size instead of 55.

Pterois. That might be a good idea too. Go to many yard sales and look through their junk and buy aqauriums. At least if I bought one with some of the equipment or at least one of a decent size, I could as well get my feet wet. But I do remember 10 gal, and I think I would like bigger than 30 gal. But if i ever came across one, I dont think I would think twice and pick one up. Esp, if I was going to get an invert, I need a place for clams to live to feed my octo. lol. Nice deal on the 135 gal. Lucky you.

Thanks Reefaholik...I checked out that website. Sweet deals.

Chris. I checked out the forum. Seems like a lot of time has gone into it already. Makes a lot of sense on what to have. Can someone still use a protein skimmer on a fish only aquarium? Will it still keep it cleaner than without one, or should it only be used on reef only systems?

Thanks minireefer. I will keep that in mind.

Im going to like this forum. Everyone seems to answer throughly and intelligently. Thanks for all the replies. I hope to get to know some of ya'll and maybe join the chat one of these days. Thanks again. :sfish:

armymil said:
Chris. I checked out the forum. Seems like a lot of time has gone into it already. Makes a lot of sense on what to have. Can someone still use a protein skimmer on a fish only aquarium? Will it still keep it cleaner than without one, or should it only be used on reef only systems?

Absolutley, I have a 55 gal fish only and use a protien skimmer on it. It actually produces much more waste than the skimmer on the 135 reef tank becuase the FO has many more fish and no filter feeders like corals and clams.

Good luck!

P.S. Your leaving Hawaii? I lived on Maui for a few years myself and would love to go back. :)

Back