Strange Invert?

Hiker4twenty

Reef enthusiast
Hello all,

I have what apprears to be a very small duster or anemone in a whole in my live rock. The strange part is that it usually has two small tentacles that come out of the center of what I refer to as the "feathers". I have other small feather dusters on the same rock and they don't have tentacles nor do their feathers look the same. I don't have a pic, but hopefully my description might be enough for some sort of identification or guesses. It is approx 4-5mm is diameter and about the same 4-5mm sticking out of the hole.

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited:
That's weird! I have those little duster looking things but I don't think I ever saw any tentacles come out.

I have something weird in my tank too! It looks like a snail without a shell! Kind of like a slug I guess. But it's back does have what looks like a sem-soft cap on it. Almost like there is a small half-shell or helmet sitting on his back but it almost blends in with the rest of him. The whole thing is very light in color, almost white. He's about 3/4" long.

That's weird! I have those little duster looking things but I don't think I ever saw any tentacles come out.

I have something weird in my tank too! It looks like a snail without a shell! Kind of like a slug I guess. But it's back does have what looks like a sem-soft cap on it. Almost like there is a small half-shell or helmet sitting on his back but it almost blends in with the rest of him. The whole thing is very light in color, almost white. He's about 3/4" long.

Dennis,

That's called a Stomatella Snail....
356693874_1cd6746e4b.jpg

That's it! Woohoo!
So is he ok? I never saw him until recently.

Yes, they're completely reef safe and a good addition to the tank. They eat mostly micro algae. You'll find them out moreso at night, but they are out and about during the day. I started off with 1 in my tank and now I have 4 or 5. I've heard they reproduce pretty easily, but mostly come as hitch hikers on lr or corals.

Hiker I think what you have is a web tube worm? Does it put out any web like material? I have had them and they have a hard tube like a coco duster only much smaller. And no feathers, of course. There's a little worm inside with two antennas.

Hiker I think what you have is a web tube worm? Does it put out any web like material? I have had them and they have a hard tube like a coco duster only much smaller. And no feathers, of course. There's a little worm inside with two antennas.

dcantucson,

Yes, the feather's actually look like there is webbing holding it together between the main support stems.(If that seems to make sense?) It's pretty much clear/white and 2 tentacles that come out of the center. The tentacles look like the spaghetti worms. I've never seen the tube or anything like that because it's inside a small hole on the LR. If that is in fact what I have, are they reef safe? I'll see if I can get a pic or 2. It's very small so it might be kind of hard.

Thanks!
Dave

Last edited:
Oh ya, i have one of those too. Creates a web of sorts to catch food. Mine is attached to my acan.

Here's mine. It's hard to see but it's that thing in the top/center of the pic.
_DSC1749.jpg

Good pic, but still cant tell. Does it look anything like this. If it does it is called a Vermited Gastropod. They are harmless. They release mucus into the water to catch food and when it does it "reels" it in.
Ryan

attachment.php

I have one of these in the middle of a coral rock I have, and last I counted I now have well over 30 of them - different sizes, cemented to rocks throughout my tank... Every morning my lights come on there are a dozen or so 'webs' and it's interesting to see all the 'dirt' they collect from the water - I'm assuming they're good so far. However, I do notice that sometimes they inhibit the polyps of my coral from fully extending while they retract the mucus netting...

Link to a video of them eating

Monterey Bay Aquarium: Snail (Vermetid Gastropod) Feeding Video

that is so gross! and awesome!

I may have one or two of those ,actually. I see little stringy things off some of my rocks occasionally. maybe I need to go check for a snail

Back