Strange New Creature In My Tank!

Nanna

Reef Freak
Hi folks, I have had the most awesome couple of days watching my reef tank. Yesterday, my Coral Banded Shrimp (Bandit) molted for the first time since I've had him (about 2 1/2 months). Now this evening I've discovered a new creature and I have no idea what it is. I hope you can help identify it by my description because I can't get a picture of it. It has a pinkish tube (body) that is attached to the rock. It's about the size of a dime, and looks like a circle of eyelashes about 3/8 of an inch long. The center is translucent and the tips are white. Kinda looks like the "feather" part of a feather duster. It also pops in and out like a feather duster does when it's spooked. It just appeared out of nowhere! Hope it's nothing bad 'cause it looks so cool. Any suggestions on what it could be?

Sure you cant get a picture?? Im really intrigued! Is it what Biff said?? You both posted at the same time!! :D

Is it a barnacle? I just got a ton of them on my new rocks they are cool

look like this ?
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbUc4u-veZE[/ame]

Last edited:
From the pictures I've found of the aiptasia and majano it doesn't look like that's what it is. It looks more like the barnacles AmberSunrise posted but it doesn't pop in and out constantly like those. It opens and stays open for awhile then when it closes it pops in quickly. All the "eyelashes' are connected to the base and don't wave around individually. I'll try to get a picture but since it's translucent except for the tips I haven't been able to get one. It just doesn't show up well enough to see it.

Whatever it is, it's very bashful! I tried to shine a flashlight on it to make it show up better and it popped in. It also pops in if I use the flash on the camera. So far it is the only one I have been able to find in my tank. The rock it's on has been in the tank about a month.

The more I research I'm afraid it is aispisia. If I use Aispisia X, and it really isn't aispisia will the dosage harm anything else in my tank?

No, the Aiptasia X will harm whatever it is directly applied to. But it's really easy to aim and get it where you want, so you apply it only to the aiptasia.

I'll get some tomorrow. I'm sure the product has specific directions, but do you take the rock out of the tank or dose in the tank? This little critter is on a rock with my cabbage leather and I don't want to kill my coral.

I found this video on youtube:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo3DZYdAD2Y"]YouTube - Red Sea Aiptasia-X[/ame]
I've been dealing with these guys almost every other week because of a rock that came in with them. But, it's not to bad with this stuff.

I hit a mushroom that was sitting below an aiptasia and it didn't much like it, it almost had a steam rising from the spot it hit and shrivelled up. But, a few days later it was just fine.
Also hit a polyp it took a couple of weeks but it came back as well. I think I could have killed them had I introduced to much. But, I think because it was a fairly small amount they were fine. Just be careful around the things you do want to keep. :D

My lemon juice worked..... just saying.
But that was only because i bathed the area (it was in a crevice), i basically filled up the basin in the rock where it was, and the deed was done. But i also took it out the water.
I would suggest chemical.

If it is convenient (and it almost never is!), you could remove the rock w/Aptasia to a smaller vessel with tank water and light overhead. dose it there, and return to the tank after the allotted time. THis way you don't have to worry about turning off all your pumps and worry about the chemical getting off target. I've done this for another problem, the dreaded red turf algae...

Back