Strange problem with blue mandarins

ez1286

Reefing newb
I have 2 blue mandarins (male and female). Recently they have had what looks like fading on the tops of their heads. It's almost totally white on the male. I've had the male for almost a year and the female since november. I recently had a fish with ich and i used "ich attack" which did not really help so I moved the sick fish to the hospital tank (unfortunetely he died) and it seems like this problem started around the time i was treating for ich. All the other fish seem fine and water quality is good. I will try to get a picture but they are pretty shy. Please help if you have any input it would be greatly appreciated!
-Elliott

mandarins are one of the fish that are very sensitive to copper and one fish that almost never gets ich.

so i think the copper killed it

The madarins didn't die. And the treatment "ich attack" does not have any copper in it. It says it is organic and reef safe (which i think means it doesn't work)

I was hoping that someone might have some answers for you. I have a Juvenile Emperor Angel that has some white on top of it's fin. I don't know why or what?

Are the mandarins still eating?

They could be getting stung by something in the tank. Usually coral or anemone stings will cause discoloration. But it's weird that it's at the top of their heads. Unless they sit underneath a rock that has stuff growing on its underside.

One of the most useful tools for a reef keeper is a big magnifying glass. Look at that white spot up close and determine if it fungal!

Back