Strange things in new tank

lilmatty5dimes

Reef enthusiast
I just bought a 90g and started seeing some weird algae on the rocks and some weird white worms or something about the size of a maggot and dont know what it is? Help please.
algae under the red spots
IMG_0557.jpg

another picture of algae
IMG_0546.jpg

worm thing
IMG_0555.jpg

IMG_0550.jpg

IMG_0551.jpg

Thanks Matthew

I had that kind of algae when my first tank got up and running. I didn't like it so I just yanked it out and never really saw it again. I think it's pretty harmless.

One of the pictures of the worm-like thing looks like a copepod, also harmless, actually very beneficial, and the other I can't really make out. I doubt it's anything to worry about. There's so many random things crawling around your tank that will probably never do a bit of harm.

Ok. Making sure it wasnt to bad before I started getting stuff for it. Waddi is there anything that will take care of the cauperla? Ive read that sea hare, tangs, and urchins will eat it. Is that the best outcome or just pulling it out. Thanks matthew

Your tank is too small for those. You can pull it out but I would move it to the back of the tank. Itll suck all the phosphates out and keep all other (hair, slime, etc...) algae out. Macro algae is generally good as long as it stays controlled.

Make sure you regularly pull out the grape cauplera (if that is what it is) becaue it can go sexual on your, which in a small tank, will probably cause it to crash. That is the risk with all cauplera species, but some are worse than others, and the grape is pretty bad

This isn't for my 14g BioCube but a new 90g. Should I pull the rock out with all of it on it and stick it in the sump(where the bioballs go) to control how much I have of it? or just start picking it all out.

I have GFO too but it doesnt even make a dent in my cauperla, I like the stuff, and i dont really mind plucking every week or so, plus it also keeps my phosphates in line. In my reactor I have ROWAphos, maybe if i tried pellets it may work better, who knows.

Back